Sudden Phase change of water to ice

In summary, the two bottles of water that were sitting in the car overnight both flashed to ice when opened the next morning. The difference in pressure between the two bottles may have contributed to the different freezing points.
Whatson II
"Sudden" Phase change of water to ice

Last winter, I had a store-bought bottle of water I took snow camping. The closed bottle of water sat in the snow overnight. The next morning the water was still liquid, when I opened the bottle, I heard the hiss from the release of pressure on the bottle and, it "flashed" to a slushy ice almost instantly. At the time I figured it was an issue with the air pressure in the bottle (we were camping in the mountains) and a neat example of nucleation. Fast forward to this winter, I had two store-bought water bottles sitting in the car over night (this time, at home in the valley). The outside temperature was in the high teens to low 20's. Both of the bottles were closed, but of these two bottles, one was partially full and the other was completely full, and had not been opened yet. Both bottles of water were still liquid and laying on the car seat next to me. When I opened the partially full bottle, it flashed to ice just like the bottle last year. I was amused but not surprised. I was curious about the second bottle, I picked it up and, without opening it, it too flashed to a slushy ice right there in my hand, no opening or change in pressure involved. This did surprise me and gave me cause to question my assumption of the affect of pressure (or sudden change thereof) on the phase change from liquid to solid.
Is this a simple matter of two different causes (delta P and agitation) of nucleation?
Does the pressure in the bottle have any impact on nucleation?
If so, would it matter if the bottle were under vacuum or pressurized? That is, is it just the change in pressure that initiates the nucleation?
Would someone please elaborate on the physics involved with my experiences such that I could explain things further to my young son?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm voting for nucleation- although fast changes in pressure can set off nucleation events.

Note- you can do a similar experiment (superheating) in the microwave. Be *very* careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Limebat

My bet would be nucleation as well. Pressure in the bottle is not very high, so it won't substantially change freezing point. Could be sudden change in pressure helps in nucleation, but I doubt it is different from just shaking the bottle.

--

Same effect in these reusable heating packs, you have a liquid salt solution and click a little metal 'popper' in them - the shock makes the liquid freeze giving off heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_pad

It is not freezing, it is crystalization of the salt - but you are right that it is simillar effect; in both cases it is all about the nucleation.

--
methods

What causes water to suddenly change from a liquid to a solid state?

The sudden phase change of water from a liquid to a solid state is due to a decrease in temperature. As water molecules lose energy, they slow down and begin to arrange themselves in a more organized structure, forming a solid lattice.

Why does sudden freezing of water occur at 0 degrees Celsius?

At 0 degrees Celsius, water reaches its freezing point, which is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid water is equal to the vapor pressure of its solid form. This causes the liquid water to turn into solid ice.

Can water freeze at temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius?

Yes, water can freeze at temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius. This can occur if the water is under high pressure or if it comes into contact with a colder surface, such as a frozen ice cube. The freezing point of water can also be altered by impurities, such as salt, which can lower the freezing point.

What is the difference between sudden and gradual freezing of water?

The main difference between sudden and gradual freezing of water is the speed at which the phase change occurs. Sudden freezing refers to an immediate change from liquid to solid, while gradual freezing occurs over a longer period of time as the temperature slowly decreases.

What factors can affect the sudden phase change of water to ice?

The sudden phase change of water to ice can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, impurities, and agitation. A sudden drop in temperature or an increase in pressure can cause water to freeze quickly. Impurities in the water can also affect the freezing point, and agitation can delay or prevent freezing by keeping the water molecules in motion.