Electric field near metal plate

In summary, the problem involves an infinite, thin, uniformly charged rod placed parallel to a metal plate at a distance d above it. The E-field close to the surface of the plate is calculated as (lambda)/(2*pi*epsilon*d) at a perpendicular distance d. The method of images is needed to calculate the induced charge on the plate, but further steps are needed as calculating the total potential results in 0. The question also involves determining the electric field at the midpoint between a positively charged rod and a negatively charged rod placed 2d apart.
Keano16

Homework Statement

An infinite, thin, uniformly charged rod (line charge density lambda) is placed parallel to a metal plate a distance d above it. Calculate the E-field close to the surface of the plate as a function of perpendicular distance to the rod.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that at a perpendicular distance d away, the E-field of an infinite rod would be (lambda)/(2*pi*epsilon*d). I also realize that the method of images needs to be applied in this case in order calculate the charge induced onto the plate, and that would require me to consider an identical infinite rod at -d from the plate, with a line charge density of -lambda. However, I do not know how to proceed from here, as calculating the total potential keeps giving me 0.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So if there's a negatively charged rod 2d from a positively charged rod, what's the electric field in their middle?

for your question! It seems like you have made some good progress in your calculations so far. To continue, you will need to use the principle of superposition to add the contributions from the original rod and the image rod. This will give you the total electric field at any point near the metal plate.

Additionally, keep in mind that the induced charge on the plate will create its own electric field, which will also contribute to the total electric field near the surface of the plate. You will need to consider both the induced charge and the original charge when calculating the total electric field.

Another approach to this problem could be to use Gauss's law and consider a Gaussian surface close to the surface of the plate. This will allow you to calculate the electric field directly from the charge density on the plate.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an electric field near a metal plate?

An electric field near a metal plate refers to the region surrounding the plate where the electric force is exerted on any charged particles present. This field is created by the accumulation of electric charges on the surface of the metal plate.

2. How is the electric field near a metal plate calculated?

The electric field near a metal plate can be calculated using the formula E = σ/ε, where E is the electric field strength, σ is the surface charge density of the metal plate, and ε is the permittivity of the medium surrounding the plate.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field near a metal plate?

The strength of the electric field near a metal plate is affected by the magnitude of the surface charge density, the distance from the plate, and the permittivity of the surrounding medium.

4. How does the shape of a metal plate affect the electric field near it?

The shape of a metal plate can affect the electric field near it by changing the distribution of surface charges. Different shapes may result in a more concentrated or spread out distribution, leading to variations in the electric field strength.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the electric field near metal plates?

Understanding the electric field near metal plates has many real-world applications. It is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, as well as in the development of technologies such as capacitors, antennas, and sensors. It also plays a role in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).