Laplace Transform of unit step function HELP

In summary, the Laplace transform of the unit step function for f(t)= e^t on 0<=t<1, t on 1<=t<2, and sin(t) on 2<=t<infinity can be written as L[e^t*u(t)]-L[e^t*u(t-1)]+L[t*u(t-1)]-L[t*u(t-2)]+L[sin(t)*(t-2)]. To evaluate each term, you can use the property L[f(t-a)u(t-a)]=e^{-as}F(s) and similar tricks to simplify each term.
diffeq2010
Laplace Transform of unit step function HELP!

Homework Statement

f(t)= e^t on 0<=t<1
. . . . t on 1<=t<2
. . . . sin(t) on 2<=t<infinity

Homework Equations

Unit Step Function

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at a solution...

f(t)=e^t*u(t)-e^t*u(t-1)+t*u(t-1)-t*u(t-2)+sin(t)*(t-2)

Now I know I need to transform this equation, but I'm not sure how to break it up into something a little easier to comprehend. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your new expression for f(t) is correct.

But you should know that L[f(x-a)H(x-a)]=e-asF(s) where F(s)=L[f(t)]

So do I just do...

L[e^t*u(t)]-L[e^t*u(t-1)]+L[t*u(t-1)]-L[t*u(t-2)]+L[sin(t)*(t-2)] ??

I don't feel like that is what I'm supposed to do. I think I need to bring some things out and put them in front of the e^t, t, and sin(t) but I have a hard time knowing what to bring out and then exactly how to transform that.

diffeq2010 said:
So do I just do...

I don't feel like that is what I'm supposed to do. I think I need to bring some things out and put them in front of the e^t, t, and sin(t) but I have a hard time knowing what to bring out and then exactly how to transform that.

You need to evaluate each laplace transform now.
For example the Laplace transform of sin(t)
L[sin(omega*t)] = omega / ( s^2 + omega^2)
You also have to use the properties of laplace transforms especially the time shift property.

Or you can just do the integrals for each, you get the same answer and it's about the same amount of work.

Last edited:

diffeq2010 said:
So do I just do...

This is the first step in one possible approach to the problem. Now you need to evaluate what each term is, and that's where you do what you're talking about. For example, let's consider the second term, [itex]L[e^t u(t-1)][/itex]. As rock.freak noted, you have the property [itex]L[f(t-a)u(t-a)]=e^{-as}F(s)[/itex] satisfied by the Laplace transformation. The second term is almost of the right form but not quite because it contains [itex]f(t)=e^t[/itex] rather than [itex]f(t-1)=e^{t-1}[/itex]. You can however use the fact [itex]e^t = e^{(t-1)+1}=e^{t-1} e^1[/itex] to get

[tex]L[e^t u(t-1)] = L[e e^{t-1}u(t-1)]=e L[e^{t-1}u(t-1)] = e\frac{e^{-s}}{s-1} = \frac{e^{-s+1}}{s-1}[/tex]

You can use similar tricks to evaluate the rest of the terms.

Thank you very much! This helps tremendously!

1. What is the Laplace Transform of the unit step function?

The Laplace Transform of the unit step function is defined as the integral from 0 to infinity of e^(-st)u(t)dt, where u(t) is the unit step function.

2. How do you find the Laplace Transform of the unit step function?

To find the Laplace Transform of the unit step function, you can use the definition of the Laplace Transform and integrate from 0 to infinity using the formula e^(-st)u(t)dt. You can also use tables or properties of the Laplace Transform to simplify the calculation.

3. What is the significance of the Laplace Transform of the unit step function?

The Laplace Transform of the unit step function is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems. It represents a sudden change or discontinuity at t=0, and its value at different points can provide information about the behavior of the system.

4. Can the Laplace Transform of the unit step function be used to solve initial value problems?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of the unit step function can be used to solve initial value problems by converting the differential equation into an algebraic equation. This allows for a more efficient and systematic approach to solving initial value problems.

5. Are there any properties of the Laplace Transform that apply to the unit step function?

Yes, there are several properties of the Laplace Transform that apply to the unit step function, such as the time-shifting property and the translation property. These properties can be used to simplify the calculation of the Laplace Transform of more complex functions involving the unit step function.