Magnetic flux through a solenoid

In summary, we can calculate the magnetic flux for a single ring using the formula BAcos(theta), where cos(theta) is equal to 1 and the magnetic flux for the entire solenoid is nL*dflux/dt. However, there seems to have been some confusion regarding the number of turns, with n representing the number of turns per unit length and N representing the total number of turns, which is found by multiplying n with the length L. This clarification helps to understand the use of nL in the formula for the entire solenoid's magnetic flux. Additionally, it should be noted that there is no L in Faraday's law of induction.
quietrain
ok, the magnetic field through a single ring is n[tex]\mu[/tex]I ,
so the flux is BAcos(theta), with cos(theta)=1, flux = BA = piR2n[tex]\mu[/tex]I

so why for the entire solenoid flux, it is now nL*the flux above? where L = length of solenoid

shouldn't multiplying it with just n = number of rings be suffice?

also, i don't really understand the magnetic flux. is it define to be the number of field lines per unit area? it is something like density right? so shouldn't it be flux = B/A ? i am getting confused :X

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Those formulas look pretty wrong. The flux should decrease with the length of the coil. And your first formula contains a number n that is not even defined for a single loop (or simply n=1)

Maybe this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

yup, for a single coil , n = 1.

but i don't understand why for the entire solenoid, we use n*L*dflux/dt = induced EMF

shouldn't just multiplying with n be enough? because n = number of turns. and dflux/dt is for 1 turn. so the entire solenoid just needs to be multiplied by n turns. why do we multiply another length L factor? it is taken from masterphysics.com

oh i realize where it all went wrong. after reading the question again for the 3000 time, i realize that n was the number of turns per unit length. so to get N, number of turns, we have to multiply n with L. -.-

sorry for the commotion

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is typically measured in units of webers (Wb) or tesla meters squared (Tm²).

2. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in the shape of a cylinder. It is used to create a strong magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

3. How is magnetic flux calculated through a solenoid?

The magnetic flux through a solenoid can be calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the solenoid by the current passing through it and the area of the cross-section of the solenoid.

4. What factors affect the magnetic flux through a solenoid?

The magnetic flux through a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the current passing through it, and the area of the cross-section of the solenoid.

5. How is the direction of magnetic flux through a solenoid determined?

The direction of the magnetic flux through a solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the curled fingers indicate the direction of the magnetic field.