Can the Sun be treated as a black body radiator?

In summary, the Solar luminosity can't be treated as a black body because the Corona would be hundreds of thousands of times brighter than the actual luminosity.
Major_Disaster
Hello,

I am trying to revise for my Solar System exam and going through a past paper i have a question relating to something that we don't seem to have covered:

"By estimating the energy output of the Sun's corona (in watts), comment on whether can be treated as a blackbody radiator. (Assume a coronal radius = 2Rsun)"

I understand what a blackbody is, and i understand how i can estimate the energy output of the Sun by calculating it luminosity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity#Computing_between_brightness_and_luminosity"

However, i don't see the link between luminosity and black body. By getting a value of x Watts how can i say yes this is black body or no it isnt?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well presumably you should know know (or you can look up) what the actual luminosity of the sun is, and you can compare it to the value you get.

Or you can just intuitively think that you get close to the Solar luminosity if you treat the Sun as a 6000K black body...while the corona (with more surface area since it's farther out than the photo-sphere) is more on the order of 1 million K.

What does this suggest?

Thanks for the replies.

nicksauce said:
Well presumably you should know know (or you can look up) what the actual luminosity of the sun is, and you can compare it to the value you get.

Yeah, its given.

I calculated the luminosity of the corona to be 1.38 x10^32
The value of the solar luminosity is given as 3.9 x10^26 - then what?

Matterwave said:
Or you can just intuitively think that you get close to the Solar luminosity if you treat the Sun as a 6000K black body...while the corona (with more surface area since it's farther out than the photo-sphere) is more on the order of 1 million K.

What does this suggest?

That it can't be treated as a black body...? Not really sure

So, by treating the Corona as a black body you get the answer that the luminosity would be hundreds of thousands of times brighter than the actual luminosity.

So...if the answer we get is ludicrous, then one of our assumptions must be wrong (or our math is wrong, but presumably you've checked that). Which assumption should we throw out first?

Matterwave said:
So, by treating the Corona as a black body you get the answer that the luminosity would be hundreds of thousands of times brighter than the actual luminosity.

So...if the answer we get is ludicrous, then one of our assumptions must be wrong (or our math is wrong, but presumably you've checked that). Which assumption should we throw out first?

Ohh yes i see. I've only just realized that I am using the "Stefan Boltzman BLACK BODY Law" (i assumed that was the lumonosity for any body). So by using this law and getting a ridicolous answer, one of the assumptions for using the law must be wrong - ie the body is not a black body.

Cheers

1. What is a black body radiator?

A black body radiator is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation and emits radiation at all wavelengths. It is considered a perfect emitter and absorber of radiation.

2. Why is the Sun often treated as a black body radiator?

The Sun is often treated as a black body radiator because it closely follows the characteristics of a black body radiator. It absorbs and emits radiation at all wavelengths and has a nearly constant surface temperature. This makes it a useful model for studying the behavior of thermal radiation.

3. Is the Sun a perfect black body radiator?

No, the Sun is not a perfect black body radiator. While it closely follows the characteristics of a black body radiator, it does not completely absorb and emit radiation at all wavelengths. This is due to the presence of elements in the Sun's atmosphere and the effects of magnetic fields on its radiation.

4. How do scientists measure the Sun's black body radiation?

Scientists measure the Sun's black body radiation by studying its spectral distribution, or the distribution of radiation at different wavelengths. This can be done using instruments such as a spectrometer or by analyzing the Sun's radiation as it passes through the Earth's atmosphere.

5. Can the Sun's black body radiation help us understand other objects in the universe?

Yes, studying the Sun's black body radiation can help us understand other objects in the universe. By examining the radiation emitted by other stars and objects, scientists can compare them to the Sun's radiation and gain insights into their composition, temperature, and other properties.