A Twist on the Two Children Problem (Not a HW question)

• Thread starter waterchan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, the Two Children Problem asks for the probability that a parent has two boys given that one of them is a boy born on Tuesday. While the intuitive answer may seem to be 1/2, the correct answer is actually 13/27. This is due to a biased initial selection criteria and the application of conditional probability to unconditional outcomes. The flaw in this approach can be seen by considering different verbs in the problem, such as kidnapping or injuring children. The article also discusses the role of randomness in determining the probability of certain outcomes.
waterchan
On this website (http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/60598/title/When_intuition_and_math_probably_look_wrong), I recently came across a twist on the Two Children Problem. The problem is deceptively simple: "I have two children, one of whom is a boy born on Tuesday. What is the probability that I have two boys?"

Intuitively the answer would appear to be 1/2, but in fact it turns out that the probability is 13/27. I don't really understand the graphical solution presented on that website, so here's my own understanding of the "official" solution.

Let's name the two children A and B. One of them is the Tuesday-born son. We don't know which one, so we consider the case that A is the Tuesday-born son. Then we consider the case that B is the Tuesday-born son.

If A is the Tuesday-born son, then B is either a boy born on any of the days (7 outcomes), or a girl born on any of the days (7 outcomes). 7 + 7 = 14 possible outcomes so far.

If A is not the Tuesday-born son, then B MUST be the Tuesday-born son. Then what is A? A can be a girl born on any of the days (7 outcomes). Or, A can also be a boy born on any of the days EXCEPT TUESDAY. Because otherwise, that would contradict the assumption for this case that A is not the Tuesday-born son. Thus, we remove the Tuesday possibility and are left with 7 - 1 = 6 outcomes.

The total number of outcomes is thus 7 + 7 + 7 + 6 = 27. The total number of desired outcomes, where both children are boys, is 7 (A is Tuesday boy, B is boy) + 6 (B must be Tuesday-boy and A is a boy) = 13 outcomes.

Thus, probability = 13/27.

Now, personally I suspect the solution is flawed because it considers the birthday which is arguably irrelevant, and applies conditional probability to unconditional outcomes. But I am unable to prove that it's flawed.

Another intuitive reason I believe the method is flawed is the following. Consider replacing the verb "have" in the question with any other verb. For example:

I kidnapped two children, one of whom is a boy born on Tuesday. What is the probability that I kidnapped two boys? (Does the birthday and sex of the kidnapped child affect anything?)

I knocked down two children, one of whom is a boy born on Tuesday. What is the probability that I knocked down two boys? (Does the birthday and sex of the knocked-down child affect anything?)

I ran over two children, one of whom is a boy born on Tuesday. What is the probability that I ran over two boys? (Does the birthday and sex of the injured child affect anything?)

I vaporized two children, one of whom is a boy born on Tuesday. What is the probability that I vaporized two boys? (Does the birthday and sex of the vaporized child affect anything?)

For all three of these questions, the exact same calculation can be applied to arrive at the exact same answer of 13/27 (which is slightly less than 1/2, the answer obtained if the information about being born on a Tuesday is disregarded). Doesn't it seem wrong that the sex and birthday of the kidnapped/knocked-down/ran-over /vaporized child has any affect on the other's sex and birthday?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The article points out that the reason that the odds are skewed is because your inital selection criteria is biased - it is not a random sampling. Read the part about "the pair of puppies, at least one of which is male".

1. What is the Two Children Problem?

The Two Children Problem is a famous puzzle in mathematics and logic that involves a parent who is told that at least one of their two children is a boy. The parent is then asked to guess the gender of the other child, and is given a set of rules to help them make an informed guess.

2. What is the twist on the Two Children Problem?

The twist on the Two Children Problem involves adding an additional piece of information: the parent is also told that the oldest child is a boy. This changes the probabilities and can lead to a different answer than the original problem.

3. How does the twist change the probabilities?

The twist changes the probabilities because it adds a new piece of information that was not present in the original problem. It essentially eliminates one of the possible scenarios (two girls) and shifts the probabilities for the remaining scenarios.

4. What is the correct answer to the twist on the Two Children Problem?

The correct answer to the twist on the Two Children Problem is that the other child is also a boy. This is because the twist eliminates the possibility of two girls, leaving only three possible scenarios: boy-boy, boy-girl, and girl-boy. Since we know that one child is a boy, the only remaining possibilities are boy-boy or boy-girl, making the probability of the other child being a boy 2/3.

5. Why is the twist on the Two Children Problem important?

The twist on the Two Children Problem is important because it challenges our understanding of probabilities and how they can be affected by new information. It also highlights the importance of carefully considering all given information before making a decision or drawing a conclusion.