Understanding Thevenin/Norton Equivalents: A Challenging Homework Problem

• Thread starter siylence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses a timed assignment involving Thevenin/Norton and a parallel voltage source that caused confusion. The student was unable to find examples or notes for this type of problem and ended up with a solution that included the 52 ohm resistor, which was later deemed unnecessary. The correct Thevenin equivalent was determined to be Vth = 120 V and Rth = 24 Ohms, with a current of 5 A.
siylence

Homework Statement

This was a timed assignment that I never got an answer on, nor was I given the correct answer once the assignment was finished. I understood Thevenin/Norton (or so I thought) until I got a Volt source that was PARALLEL to the first resistor and everything fell apart.
The question is in the picture:
thevenin.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am honestly stumped on this one. My textbook has no examples of a problem like this, nor did my professor give one like this in our notes. I feel like there was a curveball thrown.

I ended up getting something like 23.5 Ohms for Rth but that was from calculating the 10 Ohm and 4 Ohm resistors together as if they were in parallel. Then adding that to the 40 Ohm as if it were in series, then taking that resistance and adding it in parallel with the 52 Ohm resistor.

I'm an idiot.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 52 ohm resistor isn't affecting the output because it is in parallel with the supply which is assumed to be perfect. So, you don't need to include it.

So, you find the Thevenin equivalent using just the 10 and 40 ohms then add the 4 ohms to the resistance Rth, because it is in series.

Sorry this took me so long to reply, but are the answers:
Vth = 120 V
Rth = 24 Ohms
In = 5 A?

1. What is a Thevenin/Norton Equivalent?

A Thevenin/Norton equivalent is a simplified circuit model that represents a complex circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance. It is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit and determine its output without having to work with the entire circuit.

2. How do you find the Thevenin/Norton equivalent of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin/Norton equivalent of a circuit, you need to follow a few steps. First, remove the load resistance from the circuit. Then, find the open-circuit voltage by measuring the voltage across the load terminals. Next, find the equivalent resistance by shorting the voltage source and measuring the resistance between the load terminals. Finally, put the open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance together to create the Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit.

3. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

The main difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits is the type of source used. Thevenin equivalent circuits use a voltage source, while Norton equivalent circuits use a current source. Additionally, the equivalent resistance values may differ between the two models.

4. Why is the Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit useful?

The Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit is useful for simplifying complex circuits and making them easier to analyze. It also allows for easier comparison between different circuits and can help in troubleshooting and predicting circuit behavior.

5. When is it appropriate to use a Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit is appropriate to use when analyzing linear circuits with independent sources. It is especially useful when the circuit has multiple sources and the goal is to determine the output of the circuit. However, it may not be suitable for circuits with non-linear components or when more precise analysis is needed.