What is the integral of 2/x?

In summary: Thanks for all of your help!No, I don't have a list. This is a very common formula that you should have committed to memory. It comes directly from the derivative formulas for the trig functions.
ryan8888
Hi all,

I am trying to work out the following:

cos2(t)sin(t)y' = -cos3(t)y + 1

I've moved put the equation into the standard form and determined that my integrating factor is the integral of cos(t)/sin(t) or the integral of cot(t). This gives me elnsinu +c or sin(t).

I multiple both sides and simplify and I get to this point"

y*sin(t) = Integral of: 1/cos2(t) and I'm having a hard time finding the integral of this function.

Once I solve the integral on the right hand side I'm home free but can't figure it out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int \frac{dt}{cos^2(t)} = \int sec^2(t)dt = tan(t) + C[/tex]

Caveat: I didn't verify the work leading up to your question.

This is just what I was looking for. I didn't have that particular integral in my list of variations, do you happen to have a list of some of these less seen integrals of trig functions?

Thanks for all of your help!

No, I don't have a list. This is a very common formula that you should have committed to memory. It comes directly from the derivative formulas for the trig functions.

d/dx(sin x) = cos x
d/dx(cos x) = -sin x
d/dx(tan x) = sec2 x
d/dx(sec x) = sec x * tan x
d/dx(cot x) = -csc2 x
d/dx(csc x) = -csc x * cot x

The integrals of each expression on the right is the corresponding expression on the left without the differentiation operator. For example, [itex]\int[/itex] sec x tan x dx = sec x + C, and so on for all the others.

Thanks again Mark. I just havn't come across that one to this point! But it is very helpful. I have one more unrelated one for you. I have to integrate 2/x. Now I come up with 2 * ln(x) but in my textbook example it shows the solution as ex2, so the answer would be x2. Am I missing something simple with this integral?

Mark44 said:
No, I don't have a list. This is a very common formula that you should have committed to memory. It comes directly from the derivative formulas for the trig functions.

d/dx(sin x) = cos x
d/dx(cos x) = -sin x
d/dx(tan x) = sec2 x
d/dx(sec x) = sec x * tan x
d/dx(cot x) = -csc2 x
d/dx(csc x) = -csc x * cot x

The integrals of each expression on the right is the corresponding expression on the left without the differentiation operator. For example, [itex]\int[/itex] sec x tan x dx = sec x + C, and so on for all the others.

Never mind! I just realized that ln x^r = r ln x!

That answers that question!

Thanks for you help

Ryan

ryan8888 said:
Thanks again Mark. I just havn't come across that one to this point! But it is very helpful. I have one more unrelated one for you. I have to integrate 2/x. Now I come up with 2 * ln(x) but in my textbook example it shows the solution as ex2, so the answer would be x2. Am I missing something simple with this integral?
[tex]\int \frac{2}{x} = 2 ln|x| + C[/tex]

If they came up with ex2, I don't have any idea what they did, so you would need to show me the example.

What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives, with coefficients that are constants or functions of the independent variable. It can be written in the form of a polynomial, where the highest order derivative appears as a coefficient.

What is the order of a linear differential equation?

The order of a linear differential equation is the highest order derivative that appears in the equation. For example, if the equation involves the first derivative, it is a first-order linear differential equation. If it involves the second derivative, it is a second-order linear differential equation and so on.

What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is one in which the unknown function and its derivatives appear only in a linear form, meaning that the variables are not multiplied or divided by each other. In a nonlinear differential equation, the unknown function and its derivatives appear in a nonlinear form, meaning that the variables are multiplied or divided by each other.

What is the general solution of a linear differential equation?

The general solution of a linear differential equation is the most general form of the solution, which includes all possible solutions. It typically includes an arbitrary constant or constants that need to be determined using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

What are the applications of linear differential equations?

Linear differential equations have many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve rates of change, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.