The derivation of the backward fokker planck equation

Q(x,t)/dt:[dQ(x,t)/dt] = -f(x) * {dPs(x)/dx * Q(x,t)} + D * [d^2Q(x,t)/dx^2]This is the desired backward F.P. equation in terms of Q(x,t). I hope this helps clarify the derivation for you. Keep up the good work!
science_boy

Homework Statement

Starting with the F.P. equation, where the probability has been defined in terms of the stationary probability and another probability function, Q(x,t), i am trying to derive the backward F.P. equation in terms of Q(x,t).

Homework Equations

The F.P. equation provided: [d(P(x,t)]/dt=-{d[f(x)P(x,t)]/dx}+D{[d^2P(x,t)]/dx^2}
where f(x) is the applied force

P(x,t) = Ps(x)Q(x,t), where Ps(x) is the stationary distribution function of the F.P. eqn.

I know the end result, ie the backward F.P. eqn is:

[d(Q(x,t)]/dt=f(x){d[Q(x,t)]/dx}+D{[d^2Q(x,t)]/dx^2}

In my attempt i have made use of equations:

Fick’s law: J(x,t)=-D*del[n(x,t)]

conservation of mass

and the diffusion equation:

d[n(x,t)]/dt=D*del^2[(n(x,t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have managed to gain the backward F.P. eqn. However i made use of this equation:

d[Ps(x)f(x)]/dx-D[d^2(Ps(x))/dx^2]=0 (eq.1)

Whilst familiar, i cannot seem to obtain this equation form. Instead of just stating it, i really need to understand where it comes from. Through research i seem to believe it comes from Fick's law with an external force. Where making use of Fick's law along with the conservation of mass law i can obtain a similar equation. This is the diffusion equation equalling to zero. Still, i am unconvinced of that method to gain (eq.1).

Does anyone recognise Eq.1. or can you seem to get a more conclusive derivation of Eq.1 than me! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Science_boy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Science_boy,

Thank you for your post. I can see that you have put a lot of effort into your attempt to derive the backward F.P. equation. It is important to understand the derivation of equations in order to fully grasp their meaning and significance.

I would suggest starting with the definition of the stationary distribution function, Ps(x), which is the solution to the F.P. equation when the time derivative is equal to zero. Therefore, we have:

0 = -{d[f(x)Ps(x)]/dx}+D{[d^2Ps(x)]/dx^2}

Rearranging this equation, we get:

{d[f(x)Ps(x)]/dx} = D{[d^2Ps(x)]/dx^2}

Now, let's substitute P(x,t) = Ps(x)Q(x,t) into the F.P. equation:

[d(P(x,t)]/dt = -{d[f(x)P(x,t)]/dx}+D{[d^2P(x,t)]/dx^2}

Substituting in the expression for P(x,t), we get:

[d(Ps(x)Q(x,t))/dt = -{d[f(x)Ps(x)Q(x,t)]/dx}+D{[d^2(Ps(x)Q(x,t))]/dx^2}

Expanding the derivatives, we get:

[dPs(x)/dt * Q(x,t) + Ps(x) * dQ(x,t)/dt] = -{d[f(x)Ps(x)]/dx * Q(x,t) + f(x)Ps(x) * dQ(x,t)/dx} + D{[d^2Ps(x)]/dx^2 * Q(x,t) + 2dPs(x)/dx * dQ(x,t)/dx + Ps(x) * d^2Q(x,t)/dx^2}

Using the definition of Ps(x), we can rewrite the first and fourth terms on the right-hand side of the equation as zero. Therefore, we are left with:

[dPs(x)/dt * Q(x,t) + Ps(x) * dQ(x,t)/dt] = -{d[f(x)Ps(x)]/dx * Q(x,t) + f(x)Ps(x) * dQ(x,t)/dx} + D{2dPs(x)/dx * dQ(x,t)/dx}

Now, let

1. What is the backward Fokker-Planck equation?

The backward Fokker-Planck equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a probability distribution over time for a system that is subject to random forces. It is the time-reversed version of the forward Fokker-Planck equation, and is often used in studies of stochastic processes and statistical mechanics.

2. How is the backward Fokker-Planck equation derived?

The backward Fokker-Planck equation is typically derived using methods from the theory of stochastic processes, such as the Chapman-Kolmogorov equation and the Fokker-Planck equation. It can also be derived using the principles of statistical mechanics, such as the Boltzmann equation and the Onsager-Machlup equation.

3. What are the applications of the backward Fokker-Planck equation?

The backward Fokker-Planck equation has various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is commonly used to model and analyze processes involving random fluctuations, such as diffusion, Brownian motion, and chemical reactions.

4. What are the limitations of the backward Fokker-Planck equation?

Like any mathematical model, the backward Fokker-Planck equation has its limitations. It assumes that the system under study is in thermal equilibrium and that the random forces acting on it are independent and stationary. It also does not account for quantum effects and is only applicable to systems with a large number of particles.

5. Are there any variations of the backward Fokker-Planck equation?

Yes, there are various variations of the backward Fokker-Planck equation that have been developed to address specific scenarios or to incorporate additional factors. Some examples include the nonlinear backward Fokker-Planck equation, the fractional backward Fokker-Planck equation, and the generalized backward Fokker-Planck equation.