Typing Math: How to Use Symbols & Imaginary Numbers

• Thread starter zketrouble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the user is new to physicsforums and has limited knowledge of using math symbols. They are wondering how to use summation symbols, imaginary numbers, and derivative operators. They are advised to use "Latex" which is a typesetting program that converts text into math symbols. The user is directed to a tutorial on Latex and is reminded that the Latex code for each formula can be revealed by hovering the cursor over the formula.
zketrouble
I'm new to physicsforums, so my math typing is limited to the standard keystrokes. 1/x!, 2x^2. d/dx ln(3^(x+7)), for example. SO how do I do the nice summation symbols, imaginary number i, derivative operator, etc.?

Thanks!

PS to admins: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where I should put it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use "LaTex" which is really a typesetting program that converts "text" into math symbols. On this particular board, you start with [ tex ] and end with [ \tex ] (without the space which I had to put in so they would show.
[ tex ]\frac{d e^{3x}}{dx}= 3e^{3x}[ /tex ]
without the spaces gives
[tex]\frac{d e^{3x}}{dx}= 3e^{3x}[/tex]

There is a tutorial on LaTex at the top of the thread list at
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Last edited by a moderator:
The Latex code to each formula is revealed in a small window when placing the cursor on the formula.

What are some common symbols used in typing math?

Some common symbols used in typing math include + (addition), - (subtraction), * (multiplication), / (division), = (equals), and ^ (exponent).

How do I type imaginary numbers?

To type imaginary numbers, use the letter i to represent the imaginary unit. For example, 3i is the imaginary number with a real part of 0 and an imaginary part of 3.

Is there a specific order of operations for typing math?

Yes, the order of operations for typing math is the same as in traditional math. This means that you should perform operations in the following order: parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

What is the difference between a variable and a constant?

A variable is a symbol or letter that represents an unknown value, while a constant is a value that does not change. Variables are commonly used in algebraic equations to solve for the unknown value.

How do I type fractions?

To type a fraction, use the / symbol to represent the division bar. For example, 1/2 is one half. You can also use the HTML entity ½ to display a fraction in a simpler format.