Definitions of vector space and subspace

In summary, Axler's definition of a vector space includes a set with defined operations of addition and scalar multiplication, and an additive identity. A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also has these properties. However, understanding this concept can be challenging when applied to sets with non-numeric elements, but it becomes more clear when studying bases of vector spaces and linear transformations.
elementbrdr
I am using Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right as a text for independent study of linear algebra. Axler basically defined a vector space to be a set which has defined operations of addition and multiplication (and which comports with certain algebraic properties) and that contains an additive identity (which I understand to mean essentially {0}). As I understand it, a subspace is simply a subset of a vector space that has the same properties.

I am having trouble understanding what this all means for sets other than [tex]F^n[/tex] I find vector space and subspace to be intuitive concepts when applied to complex number sets (particularly so with respect to real number sets). But I have trouble understanding what vector space and subspace actually means when applied to sets containing non-numeric elements. For example, Axler discusses subspaces in the context of the set P(F), which is the set of all polynomials with coefficients in F, and the function p(x), which is a polynomial function. The example he provides is that the set [tex]\{\rho \in P(F) : \rho(3) = 0\}[/tex] is a subspace of [tex]P(F)[/tex]
This makes a bit of sense to me, but I'm having trouble understanding its significance. I don't get why the concept of subspace is useful for anything other than vector space having ordered n-tuples as elements. I'm having similar difficulty with the concept of direct sum, but I'll save that until after I've cleared up my current confusion.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi elementbrdr! :smile:

It seems that you understand quite well what a subspace is, so you're only asking yourself what the use is of subspaces?

Well, subspaces are just a formulation of some handy properties. That is, it's just saying that it's a vector space in it's own right (with operations that coincide with that of the larger vector space). You will see the term subspace used time after time in linear algebra, so you will soon see it's importance.

Also, if you understand the vector space Fn, then you actually understand them all because all vector spaces have this form!

P(F) is a little special, because it is an infinite-dimensional vector space.

Have you studied bases of vector spaces yet? Do you agree that every vector in an n-dimensional vactor space, given a basis, is in one-to-one correspendance with its coordinate vector? This relationship let's us represent any n-dimensional vector space as an ordered n-tuple in a basis.

I think the significance of subspaces and direct sums will become evident when you study linear transformations.

Thanks for the responses!

espen180, I have not yet studied bases of vector spaces. As of now, I have only advanced as far as learning span.

I think the takeaway here is that I should be patient and this will all make sense in due time :)

Axler basically defined a vector space to be a set which has defined operations of addition and multiplication (and which comports with certain algebraic properties)

I don't know Axler, but I doubt he says that a vector space is only a single set.
You actually need two sets to define scalar multiplication, which I presume you mean since scalar multiplication is fundamental to all vector spaces, whilst vector multiplication is not.

You have your field set - the scalars and your vector set - the vectors.
Together they make the vector space.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (vectors) that can be added and multiplied by scalars (numbers), satisfying certain axioms such as closure, associativity, commutativity, and distributivity. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

A vector space must satisfy the following properties:

• Closure under vector addition
  • Closure under scalar multiplication
  • Associativity of vector addition
  • Commutativity of vector addition
  • Existence of a zero vector
  • Existence of additive inverses
  • Associativity of scalar multiplication
  • Distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition
  • Distributivity of scalar multiplication over scalar addition
  • Multiplicative identity

3. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies the properties of a vector space. In other words, it is a subset of vectors that can be added and multiplied by scalars without leaving the original vector space.

4. How do you determine if a subset is a subspace?

To determine if a subset is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if the subset is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, if it contains a zero vector and additive inverses, and if it is associative and commutative. If all of these properties are satisfied, then the subset is a subspace.

5. What is the difference between a vector space and a subspace?

A vector space is a set of objects that satisfies certain properties, while a subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies these properties. In other words, a subspace is a smaller version of a vector space that is contained within it. Another way to think of it is that a vector space is the entire house, while a subspace is a room within the house.