Some questions about maximum rank & typical rank

In summary: It is important to understand the difference between these two types of ranks in order to fully grasp the concept of tensor decomposition.
flamen
I was wondering some exact explanations of the definition of maximum rank and typical rank-peculiarity of tensors when I read 'Tensor Decomposition and Application' written by Tamara G. Kolda. As his saying, the maximum rank is defined as the largest attainable rank, whereas the typical rank is any rank that occurs with probability greater than zero (i.e., on a set with positive Lebesgue measure). It sounds very plain, but I'm totally confused after check some reference and relevant examples.(~~o(>_<)o ~~)

Could you have offered some advice for me? Thank you very much!

p.s. I'm a beginner in the field of tensor analysis who is new to this forum, and would appreciate your guidance! O(∩_∩)O~

Physics news on Phys.org
The maximum rank of a tensor is the highest possible rank that it can have, while the typical rank is any rank that can occur with a non-zero probability. This means that, for a tensor of a particular size and shape, there may be multiple ranks that can occur with a non-zero probability. For example, if you have a 3x3x3 tensor, then the maximum rank is 3 (since this is the highest possible rank that the tensor can attain), but the typical rank could be 1, 2, or 3, depending on the values of the elements in the tensor.

Question 1: What is the difference between maximum rank and typical rank?

Maximum rank refers to the highest possible rank that can be achieved in a given system, while typical rank refers to the average or most commonly observed rank in a system.

Question 2: How is maximum rank determined?

The maximum rank of a system is typically determined by the number of variables or parameters in the system. For example, a system with 3 variables would have a maximum rank of 3.

Question 3: Can the maximum rank of a system change?

Yes, the maximum rank of a system can change if the number of variables or parameters in the system changes. It can also change if the system undergoes a significant transformation.

Question 4: How is typical rank calculated?

The typical rank of a system is calculated by analyzing a large number of samples or data points and determining the most commonly observed rank in the system.

Question 5: Why is understanding maximum rank and typical rank important?

Understanding maximum rank and typical rank is important in various fields of science, such as statistics, machine learning, and signal processing. It helps in analyzing and interpreting data, identifying patterns and trends, and making predictions about a system's behavior.