Scepticism Spelled Wrong

• Thread starter Ivan92
  • Start date
In summary, the word "scepticism" is often spelled with a "k" instead of a "c", causing confusion and debate among English speakers. While both spellings are technically correct, "skepticism" is the dictionary spelling and the preferred spelling in American English. The British variant, "scepticism", comes from the Greek word "skeptikos" and is still considered a valid spelling. However, the use of "skepticism" is more widespread and accepted. Ultimately, the debate over the spelling of "scepticism" is a matter of personal preference and should not be a cause for contention.
Ivan92
"Scepticism" Spelled Wrong...

I just noticed that Skepticism is misspelled. However, it wasn't spelled wrong before. What happened? Is it just me or is it everyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org

In the PF home page, "Scepticism and Debunking". I just looked it up though; it seems that scepticism is another way of spelling it.

Last edited:

Ivan92 said:
In the PF home page, "Scepticism and Debunking". I just looked it up though; it seems that scepticism is another way of spelling it.
Skepticism is the dictionary spelling.

Where were you looking that had it spelled diferently?

Ban him.

Pengwuino said:
Ban him.
Throws herself in front of Ivan. Nooo, he was just confused by the amount of misspelling on the web.

59u51j.jpg

There is a screen shot.

The forum is spelled correctly - skepticism.

I see it differently though... I see what my screen shot has.

Oh, you mean its spelled scepticism, that's the british variant of skepticism, yes, it should be changed.

Yep, even when I enter the sub-forum too, it is spelled scepticism.

Yea I know, I just realized it. Before I thought I saw it spelled it with a k.

scep·tic, scep·ti·cal, scep·ti·cism

Definition of SCEPTIC
chiefly British variant of skeptic, skeptical, skepticism

Greg, we have the Britsh spelling, not American English.

I swear it was spelled with a k too, someone messed with it? Or did my mind automatically correct it?

Evo said:
scep·tic, scep·ti·cal, scep·ti·cism

Definition of SCEPTIC
chiefly British variant of skeptic, skeptical, skepticism

Greg, we have the Britsh spelling, not American English.

I swear it was spelled with a k too, someone messed with it? Or did my mind automatically correct it?

hmmm must have been cristo :biggrin:

I thought I went crazy there for a sec! LOL! So I guess cristo changed it. haha!

Ivan92 said:
I thought I went crazy there for a sec! LOL! So I guess cristo changed it. haha!

Here is what the dictionary says about spellings with c or k:

Last edited by a moderator:

micromass said:
Here is what the dictionary says about spellings with c or k:
Damn you!

People that don't come to chat will not understand the significance of this!

Shakes fist at micro!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticism can only really be spelt with a "c". Scepticism is a word of Greek origins and there is no "K" in Greek.

Joe Blow said:
Scepticism can only really be spelt with a "c". Scepticism is a word of Greek origins and there is no "K" in Greek.

Last time I checked there was no c in Greek. According to wiktionary in Greek it is σκεπτικός - written with kappa.

Greg Bernhardt said:
both spellings are correct

That's what OUP English Dictionary online is saying.
People need to realize that there can be a variety of spellings for various words, and not claim that it is suddendly incorrect.
For example, on Facebook, someone said someone else had spelt realize wrong because it was without a z. Stupid comment.

Borek said:
Last time I checked there was no c in Greek. According to wiktionary in Greek it is σκεπτικός - written with kappa.

So the proper spellings are Greeϰ and sϰepticism. :tongue2:

Greg Bernhardt said:
both spellings are correct
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

As one who has a dog in the race I agree that both words are correct but I strongly prefer skeptic as sceptic carries connotations of being infected or contaminated as in the opposite of anti-sceptic. :-)

http://www.ukskeptics.com/article.php?dir=articles&article=skeptic_or_sceptic.php

"Correctness" is with sceptic, greatest usage is with skeptic, so they are both "right" in a way. To me, the American spelling looks the better one to go with.

Just don't write "skeptick" or "sceptick." Unless maybe you're Benjamin Franklin.

Evo said:
Skepticism is the dictionary spelling.

I'm quite sceptical about this...

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm must have been cristo :biggrin:

Haha, I wish I had the power to do that! There'd be no z's left on the forum!

cristo said:
I'm quite sceptical about this...

Haha, I wish I had the power to do that! There'd be no z's left on the forum!

I'm sure you read that in your head as "zeds"...sigh :tongue2:.

cristo said:
There'd be no z's left on the forum!

Soom the Soo image on the sebra sone?

lisab said:
I'm sure you read that in your head as "zeds"...sigh :tongue2:.

Well of course; that's what the letter is called after all!

Borek said:
Soom the Soo image on the sebra sone?

Ok, most of the z's would be gone.

What is "Scepticism Spelled Wrong"?

"Scepticism Spelled Wrong" is a term used to describe a common mistake in the spelling of the word "skepticism". It is often used in a humorous or ironic way to poke fun at those who claim to be skeptics but cannot even spell the word correctly.

Why is the correct spelling of "skepticism" important?

The correct spelling of "skepticism" is important because it is a commonly used word in scientific and academic discourse. Using the correct spelling shows attention to detail and credibility in one's arguments.

Is there a difference between "scepticism" and "skepticism"?

No, "scepticism" is the British English spelling of the word, while "skepticism" is the American English spelling. They have the same meaning and can be used interchangeably.

Why do people misspell "skepticism" as "scepticism"?

The misspelling of "skepticism" as "scepticism" is often due to confusion about the correct spelling or a lack of attention to detail. It can also be influenced by the use of British English in certain regions or by those who are not native English speakers.

How can I remember the correct spelling of "skepticism"?

A good way to remember the correct spelling is to break the word into two parts: "skeptic" and "ism". This can help you remember the "k" in the middle of the word. You can also use spell check or consult a dictionary if you are unsure.