Shear Stress In A Wooden Block

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of normal and shear stress in a block and steel, with the goal of finding the ultimate load. Two hints are given, one regarding the location of shear stress in the block and the other pertaining to the value of Pu for tau_steel. The final response confirms the correctness of the calculation and thanks for the assistance.
NinjaGodel

Homework Statement

shear.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\sigma[/itex] = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I should evaluate the different forms of stress to find different values of the ultimate load. I also understand that I should choose the smallest value among them since anything greater than the smallest value will cause failure.

I know how to calculate the normal stress in the block and the shear stress in the steel.
I don't understand where shear stress occurs in the block and thus how to calculate it.

shear2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
NinjaGodel: Shear stress occurs uniformly on the two planes represented by the dashed lines. This is often referred to as "shear tear-out." Give it a try.

Also, hint 1: Should Pu for tau_steel be two times what you currently computed?

nvn said:
NinjaGodel: Shear stress occurs uniformly on the two planes represented by the dashed lines. This is often referred to as "shear tear-out." Give it a try.

Also, hint 1: Should Pu for tau_steel be two times what you currently computed?

Ah yes it should be because it's in double shear

I knew that:redface:

So the double shear force on the block would go across this shaded surface area:
shear3.jpg

Plus the inner face of the left block I drew

Right?
Thanks for your help by the way

Last edited:
NinjaGodel: That is correct. And your answer looks correct. Excellent work.

Shear stress occurs when an object experiences a force that causes it to slide or deform along a plane parallel to the direction of the force. In the case of a wooden block, shear stress may occur if the block is subjected to a force that causes it to slide or deform along its surface. This could happen if the block is placed on a slope or if a force is applied to one side of the block. To calculate the shear stress in a wooden block, you would need to know the magnitude and direction of the applied force and the area of the surface that the force is acting on. This can then be plugged into the equation \sigma = F/A to determine the shear stress. It is important to consider shear stress in addition to normal stress when evaluating the strength and stability of a wooden block, as failure under shear stress can also lead to structural failure.

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a measure of the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the surface of a material, causing the material to deform or shear.

How does shear stress affect a wooden block?

Shear stress can cause a wooden block to deform or break if it exceeds the block's ability to withstand the applied force. This can be seen in the form of cracks, splits, or warping of the block.

What factors can affect the shear stress in a wooden block?

The density, moisture content, and type of wood can all affect the shear stress in a wooden block. Other factors such as the direction of the applied force, temperature, and duration of the stress can also play a role.

Can shear stress be controlled or reduced in a wooden block?

Yes, the shear stress in a wooden block can be controlled or reduced through various methods such as using stronger or thicker wood, applying protective coatings, or changing the direction of the applied force.

How is shear stress in a wooden block measured?

Shear stress in a wooden block can be measured using specialized equipment such as a shear stress tester. It can also be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the block.