Questions using Newton's Laws.

In summary, the problem involves a 54 kg woman and a 79 kg man colliding on a frictionless frozen lake while ice-skating. The maximum force exerted by the man on the woman during the collision is 160 N, west. The maximum force on the man from the woman is also 160 N, but in the opposite direction (east). The maximum acceleration of the woman is -2.96296 m/s/s to the west, and the maximum acceleration of the man is 2.02 m/s/s to the east. The solution for part A is simply the same force (160 N) but in the opposite direction.
McAfee

Homework Statement

A 54 kg woman is ice-skating toward the east on a frictionless frozen lake when she collides with a 79 kg man who is ice-skating toward the west. The maximum force exerted on the woman by the man during the collision is 160 N, west. Take east to be the positive direction of the x axis. (a) What is the maximum force on the man from the woman, including direction? (b) What is the maximum acceleration of the woman, including direction? (c) What is the maximum acceleration of the man, including direction?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble obtaining the answer to part A.

I am setting up the problem like so:

F+160=54(a)
I'm not sure what I should do?

I was able already to get the answers to b and c. This is what I did.

b) F = m a so a = F/m = 160N/ 54 kg in the direction of the force (which is to the west) (negative)= -2.96296

c) a = F/m in this case, we use m = 79kg, so a = 160N/ 79 kg = 2.02 m/s/s east (positive)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think (a) is a Newton's First Law question. Easier than you suspect!

Thank you for responding.

1) How do Newton's laws explain the motion of objects?

The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2) What is the difference between weight and mass according to Newton's laws?

According to Newton's laws, weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force, while mass remains constant.

3) Can Newton's laws be applied to all objects in motion?

Yes, Newton's laws can be applied to all objects in motion, as long as they are not traveling near the speed of light or in extremely small scales where quantum mechanics takes over.

4) How do Newton's laws explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be for a given force.

5) Can Newton's laws be used to predict the future motion of objects?

Yes, Newton's laws can be used to make predictions about the future motion of objects, as long as the initial conditions and external forces acting on the object are known. However, factors such as air resistance and friction may affect the actual motion of an object and may need to be taken into account for more accurate predictions.