Can the size of an atom change?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of atoms changing size and the relationship between the expansion of space and the size of atoms. It is mentioned that the expansion of space does not affect the size of atoms, but rather it is the presence of forces such as gravity or sub-atomic forces that determine the size of objects. The conversation also touches on the fact that the universe is not slowing down, despite the expansion of space.
dumdedo
I've been searching and trying to find an answer to this. I'm not scholar or physics major. I'm asking for some guidance about this subject.

The big bang theory, leaves me with the impression that atoms can change size.

Is this true?

Can gravitational forces compress, can atoms become smaller?

What regulates an atom's size?

Can adjusting the space/time fabric change the size of an atom?

Thank you for your time. I'm really wondering how all the atoms can fit into the space of a green pea, as computer models suggest.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know gravitation does not effect the size of atoms. Size for atoms is a difficult concept, but the simplest way to look at it is in terms of energy. Increasing the energy of an atom means the electrons are in more energetic levels which take up more room.

mathman said:
As far as I know gravitation does not effect the size of atoms. Size for atoms is a difficult concept, but the simplest way to look at it is in terms of energy. Increasing the energy of an atom means the electrons are in more energetic levels which take up more room.

Then forget gravity.

If there is space inside each atom, would it not also have to obey the expansion of space?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space

200px-Raisinbread.gif

Last edited:
Why would you say "The big bang theory leaves me with the impression that atoms can change size"?

Because if expansion of space is true, wouldn't the size atoms be related to the size of the Universe?

dumdedo said:
Because if expansion of space is true, wouldn't the size atoms be related to the size of the Universe?

Not at all. The expansion of space has no effect on gravitationally bound objects, such as clusters of galaxies, galaxies, solar systems, planets, you, atoms, etc.

So, space inside each atom is not effected by the inflation of space? Is that space inside an atom special?

Has nothing to do with space, it's the presence of a force that binds the objects together. For macro objects, it's gravity, for micro objects, it's sub-atomic forces.

Okay. I was just under the impression that if gravity caused macro objects to be pulled towards each other, the galaxies would not be getting farther apart, like they are doing.

dumdedo said:
Okay. I was just under the impression that if gravity caused macro objects to be pulled towards each other, the galaxies would not be getting farther apart, like they are doing.

They are getting farther apart precisely in the empty gaps where gravity is too weak to pull them together.

1. Can the size of an atom change?

Yes, the size of an atom can change under certain conditions.

2. What factors can cause the size of an atom to change?

The size of an atom can change due to changes in its electron configuration, temperature, and pressure.

3. Can the size of an atom increase or decrease?

Yes, the size of an atom can increase or decrease depending on the factors affecting it.

4. Is the change in size of an atom permanent?

No, the change in size of an atom is not permanent. It can return to its original size under different conditions.

5. How is the change in size of an atom measured?

The change in size of an atom is measured using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy.