2 Years behind my peers. Will this affect my REU chances?

In summary, the speaker graduated high school one year late due to cutting class, but found a passion for math while in college and transferred to a stronger university. However, since they did not have the opportunity to take AP calculus in high school, they were not able to start in the honors calculus course at their new university and had to complete their calculus sequence first, pushing them back another year. They have enough credits to be a junior, but only have the necessary courses to be a freshman, and have a nearly perfect transcript. Despite being nearly 30 years old and only completing a few advanced math courses, the speaker has received multiple REU opportunities for the upcoming summer.
DeadOriginal
I graduated high school one year late because I cut class like a fool. I went to a small public university in NYC thinking I was going to major in business or finance but as it turns out I was bored out of my mind. I took pre-calculus and was fascinated. I got hooked and never looked back.

I have now gone and transferred to a stronger university. I will be finishing up multivariable calculus by March and starting my first class in writing basic proofs. (I'm on a quarter system.) Due to the fact that I never went to high school and never had the chance to take any of the AP calculus courses they wouldn't let me start in the honors calculus course here (Calculus by Spivak) and instead made me finish my calculus sequence first. This effectively pushed me back another year.

To wrap it all up, I should be a junior right now. I have the credits to be a junior but I only have the necessary courses to be a freshman. My transcript is almost spotless with 57 credits (semester credits) and an overall GPA of 3.98. Same is expected for this quarter.

Will my lateness negatively affect my chances at an REU?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm nearly 30, only completed Multi-var calc/DifferentialEQ/PhysicsII and I had plenty of REU opportunities this coming summer.

Sounds good! Thanks.

1. Will being 2 years behind my peers impact my chances of getting into an REU program?

It is possible that being 2 years behind your peers could affect your chances of getting into an REU program, as many programs have specific eligibility requirements that include being at a certain stage in your academic career. However, it is not necessarily a determining factor and other aspects of your application, such as your academic achievements and research experience, will also be taken into consideration.

2. How can I make up for being 2 years behind my peers in terms of research experience?

If you are 2 years behind your peers in terms of research experience, you can still make up for it by finding other ways to gain research experience. This could include participating in independent research projects, volunteering in a lab, or taking on a research assistant position. Additionally, highlighting any relevant skills or experiences you have gained during your academic career can also strengthen your application.

3. Should I disclose that I am 2 years behind my peers on my REU application?

It is not necessary to disclose that you are 2 years behind your peers on your REU application. Instead, focus on highlighting your strengths and experiences that make you a strong candidate for the program. However, if there is a specific reason for your delay, such as illness or personal circumstances, you may choose to mention it in your personal statement or during the application process.

4. Are there any REU programs specifically designed for students who are behind their peers?

While there may not be specific REU programs designed solely for students who are behind their peers, there are programs that prioritize underrepresented or disadvantaged students. These programs often have a holistic approach to evaluating applications and may take into consideration any challenges or delays you have faced in your academic career.

5. How can I address being 2 years behind my peers in my personal statement for an REU program?

In your personal statement, you can address being 2 years behind your peers by highlighting any challenges or obstacles you have faced and how you have overcome them. Emphasize your determination and resilience, and how these experiences have shaped you into a stronger and more dedicated researcher. Additionally, you can also focus on your future goals and how the REU program will help you achieve them, highlighting your enthusiasm and passion for research.