Can I become a Chemist or Physicist?

In summary, the person is a 16-year-old in grade 11 who wants to become a physicist or chemist. They struggle with some concepts in physics but understand everything in chemistry and enjoy the inorganic side. They are interested in pursuing a career in science and are concerned about their English skills. They are advised to consult a good English teacher for improvement.
lionely
Hi I'm 16 years old. I'm currently in grade 11.

I wanted to know if I could become a Physicist or Chemist with a relatively good understanding of the subjects. In physics I'm trying my best to understand it I had problems with Waves and some parts of Mechanics. I don't understand everything in Physics will gaps be filled in at like the higher level?

For Chemistry I understand practically everything at this level, but I just need to study some more... I like the Inorganic side of Chemistry more than Organic. The calculations are "fun" somewhat xD.

I really want to get a career in Science business and all of those things seems dreadfully boring to me... Also, can I become a scientist even if I suck at English?

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:
Also, can I become a scientist even if I suck at English?

It depends on what you mean by suck. If you can't express yourself well when writing, your career will be limited.

I mean like in english class when we do comprehension, and something doesn't literally mean the thing it is saying, I usually don't figure out what it is really saying. :(

Everything is better when you have faith on yourself. nothing is difficult. everything depends on your hardworks. you need to consult a good english teacher. that's it

Admission for Best engineering colleges in punjab online

Hi there, it's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career in science! The short answer is yes, you can definitely become a chemist or physicist with hard work and dedication.

It's important to remember that becoming a scientist takes a lot of effort and determination, and it's completely normal to struggle with certain topics or concepts. As you continue to study and learn, you will find that your understanding of physics and chemistry will deepen and the gaps will be filled in.

In terms of your preference for inorganic chemistry over organic chemistry, that's perfectly fine. Many scientists have their own areas of interest and expertise within a broader field. And don't worry, the calculations in chemistry can be challenging but they can also be very satisfying once you get the hang of them.

Regarding your concern about your English skills, while communication is an important aspect of science, it is not the only skill that is necessary. As long as you are willing to work on improving your English, it should not hold you back from pursuing a career in science.

Overall, the key to becoming a successful scientist is to have a strong passion for the subject and a willingness to constantly learn and improve. Keep up the hard work and you can achieve your goals of becoming a chemist or physicist. Best of luck to you!

1. Can I become a Chemist or Physicist without a strong background in math and science?

No, a strong foundation in math and science is essential for becoming a chemist or physicist. These fields require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and scientific principles, which are necessary for conducting experiments, analyzing data, and developing theories.

2. What skills do I need to become a Chemist or Physicist?

To become a chemist or physicist, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively. You should also have good communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work both independently and in a team.

3. How long does it take to become a Chemist or Physicist?

The time it takes to become a chemist or physicist varies depending on your educational path. Generally, it takes at least a bachelor's degree (4 years) to become a chemist or physicist, and further education such as a master's or PhD may be required for more advanced positions.

4. What job opportunities are available for Chemists and Physicists?

Chemists and physicists have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, materials science, and academia. They can work in research and development, quality control, product testing, teaching, and more.

5. How can I prepare for a career as a Chemist or Physicist?

To prepare for a career as a chemist or physicist, it is important to take courses in math, chemistry, physics, and other relevant subjects during high school and college. You can also gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, and laboratory work. Pursuing advanced degrees and attending conferences and workshops can also help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge for a successful career in these fields.