Deriving formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers.

In summary, using Malus' Law, the exit intensity can be expressed as I = (Io/2)(cos(θ12))^2 (cos(90-θ12))^2, where Io is the intensity out of the light source and θ12 is the angle of the second polarizer compared to the first polarizer. The final equation shows that the exit intensity is directly proportional to Io and the square of the cosine of θ12.
t_physics

Homework Statement

Show that the exit intensity as a function of Io (intensity out of light source) and θ12 (angle of second polarizer compared to the first polarizer) is

I = (Io/8) sin(2(θ12)))^2

Homework Equations

Malus' Law
I = Io (cosθ)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I1 = Io/2
I2 = I1 (cos(θ12))^2
= (Io/2) (cos(θ12))^2
I = I2 (cos(θ23))^2
= (Io/2)(cos(θ12))^2 (cos(θ23))^2

I understand that the difference between θ1 and θ13 is 90°, but don't know how to apply this to derive the equation listed above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that in the final equation, θ23 = (90 - θ12), so it could be rewritten as I = (Io/2)(cos(θ12))^2 (cos(90-θ12))^2

Still unsure about the trig involved though.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of deriving a formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers?

The purpose of deriving a formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers is to understand the relationship between the initial intensity of light and the final intensity after passing through three polarizers. This formula can help scientists predict the amount of light that will pass through the polarizers and how it will be affected by their orientations.

2. How many variables are involved in the formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers?

The formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers involves three variables: the initial intensity of light, the angle between the first two polarizers, and the angle between the third polarizer and the first two polarizers. These variables determine the final intensity of light that will pass through the third polarizer.

3. What factors can affect the final intensity of light through three polarizers?

The final intensity of light through three polarizers can be affected by the initial intensity of light, the orientations of the three polarizers, and the properties of the polarizers themselves. Other factors such as the wavelength of light and the medium in which the polarizers are placed can also impact the final intensity.

4. How can the formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers be derived?

The formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers can be derived using the Malus' law, which states that the intensity of light passing through a polarizer is proportional to the cosine squared of the angle between the polarizer and the incident light. By applying this law to each polarizer and considering the orientations of the polarizers, the final intensity of light can be calculated.

5. What are the limitations of the formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers?

The formula for final intensity of light through three polarizers is based on ideal conditions and assumes that the polarizers are perfect and that the light passing through them is monochromatic. In reality, there may be imperfections in the polarizers and the incident light may have a range of wavelengths, which can affect the accuracy of the formula. Additionally, the formula does not take into account any external factors that may affect the final intensity of light.