Why Dissipation is Minimized in Power Line Transmission through High Voltage

In summary, power lines are designed to deliver power at extremely high voltage to minimize energy dissipation. This was presented in lecture by the fact that I=PV, so for a given power high V => low I, and since (I^2)R represents the energy dissipation, this term will be minimized.
The Head
So, power lines are designed to deliver power at extremely high voltage to minimize energy dissipation. This was presented in lecture by the fact that I=PV, so for a given power high V => low I, and since (I^2)R represents the energy dissipation, this term will be minimized.

That makes sense to me, however, when I think of it from a different perspective, I am tangling ideas and getting something incorrect. If you have power lines, they will be made out of a given material and should have a (relatively) fixed resistance (assuming Ohm's Law applies). Thus, raising the voltage should raise the current. So in trying to minimize energy dissipation, wouldn't increasing the voltage also increase the current? (of course this would also, increase the power at which it is delivered)

So to me it seems like if you pick a power level and have a given material (with fixed resistance), you really don't have much choice in varying the voltage-- you just have to pick the one where V*I equals that power level. Otherwise, you can change the geometry of your power lines, but this is now minimizing R, not I.

Could someone please clarify? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Higher voltage means lower current FOR A GIVEN POWER LEVEL. The important thing is that energy is conserved, but voltage is not, so we can use transformers to step up the voltage while keeping the power the same. This, of course, reduces the current since P = IV. If transformers didn't exist then we wouldn't easily be able to use high voltage lines for power.

The power load will change depending on how many appliances the end users have plugged in. So, the resistance at the house level changes with time, but the voltage is more or less fixed, so the current varies going into the house. This means some amount of power is moving into the house. The house is drawing less current from the high voltage line to draw the same amount of power. Less current means less I^2*R in the high voltage lines. We pretty much want the lowest resistance practical in the power lines, which means fairly large cables.

Last edited:
I got some new useful things from here, thanks very much

1. Why is dissipation minimized in power line transmission through high voltage?

In power line transmission, the amount of energy lost as heat during transmission is known as dissipation. High voltage is used to minimize dissipation because it reduces the current flowing through the transmission lines. According to Ohm's Law, dissipation is directly proportional to current, so by reducing the current, we can minimize dissipation.

2. How does high voltage reduce dissipation in power line transmission?

High voltage reduces dissipation in power line transmission by decreasing the amount of current that flows through the transmission lines. This is because high voltage causes the electrons to move faster and with more force, so fewer electrons are needed to carry the same amount of energy. This results in a lower current, which in turn reduces dissipation.

3. What are the benefits of minimizing dissipation in power line transmission?

The main benefit of minimizing dissipation in power line transmission is that it increases the efficiency of the transmission process. This means that more energy can be transmitted over longer distances without significant losses. This leads to cost savings and a more reliable power supply for consumers.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using high voltage in power line transmission?

While high voltage is effective in minimizing dissipation in power line transmission, it also presents some challenges. One of the main drawbacks is the higher cost of infrastructure required to handle high voltage, such as specialized transmission lines and equipment. Additionally, high voltage transmission can pose safety hazards, so proper precautions must be taken.

5. Are there any other ways to minimize dissipation in power line transmission?

While high voltage is the most common method for minimizing dissipation in power line transmission, there are other techniques that can also be used. These include using thicker transmission lines, using superconducting materials, and implementing advanced control and monitoring systems to optimize the transmission process. However, these methods may be more costly and may not be as widely adopted as high voltage transmission.