Boost Engagement with 'Like' Function on Forum Posts

• Thread starter phion
  • Start date
In summary, people might appreciate the nonverbal qualifications and encouragement of notification types, but adding such functionality to every post might be met with resistance.
phion
Gold Member
I'm not sure how adding Facebook-esque type functionality attached to every forum post might be received, but I think that a lot of people might appreciate the nonverbal qualifications and encouragement of those kinds of notifications. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums phion.

We've had this suggestions many times before but have decided not to go with it. The biggest problem is that liking a post is a purely subjective act and does nothing to ensure the veracity of the statement. On a forum where objective evidence is paramount this wouldn't fit well at all.

You might be interested to read one of our previous discussions on the topic
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=560842

phion said:
I'm not sure how adding Facebook-esque type functionality attached to every forum post might be received, but I think that a lot of people might appreciate the nonverbal qualifications and encouragement of those kinds of notifications. What do you think?
We've discussed this before and decided against it as people "liking" something might be confused with it being accurate. This is why we developed our "Science Advisor" and "Homework Helper" recognitions for people that consistently make high quality posts and have a positive, helpful attitude.

Please feel free to tell a member if you like their posts, a bit of thanks is always appreciated.

Edit: Ryan beat me to it.

Now that you mention that, I agree wholeheartedly with your rationale. Thank you!

On second thought, why not restrict the function to off-topic sections?

phion said:
On second thought, why not restrict the function to off-topic sections?

We don't have the capability at the moment

Oh, I see. Anyway, I've always admired your forum and all the custom bells and whistles! It takes me some time to catch up to these things. :tongue:

To offer some evidentiary support to the wisdom expressed here, I belong to some other scientific forums which have the "like" functionality. I have noticed that the things of mine that are most liked are the ones many less sophisticated people can appreciate rather than ones that are most authoritative. I.e. some things I have posted on which I am a world's authority are liked only by 3 or 4 experts who can understand it, while some elementary remarks I thought everyone already knew have been enormously popular. Thus while it is kind of fun, it is essentially anti intellectual in nature.

I appreciate your feedback mathwonk, it's always a pleasure to read your posts!

+1, maybe? :tongue2:

What is the purpose of the 'Like' function on forum posts?

The 'Like' function on forum posts is meant to encourage engagement and interaction among users. It allows users to show their appreciation for a post without having to leave a comment.

How does the 'Like' function help boost engagement on forum posts?

The 'Like' function can boost engagement on forum posts by creating a sense of community and positive reinforcement. When users see that their posts are being liked, they are more likely to continue participating and sharing their thoughts.

Can the 'Like' function be abused or misused?

Yes, the 'Like' function can be abused or misused. Some users may use it to artificially inflate their post's popularity or to bully and harass others. As a scientist, it is important to consider the potential consequences and monitor the use of the 'Like' function to ensure a positive and respectful online environment.

Are there any alternatives to the 'Like' function for boosting engagement on forum posts?

Yes, there are other ways to boost engagement on forum posts such as implementing a rating system, encouraging comments and discussions, and hosting contests or challenges. It is important to consider what works best for your specific forum and audience.

What are some potential downsides of using the 'Like' function on forum posts?

Some potential downsides of using the 'Like' function on forum posts include creating a competitive atmosphere, promoting superficial engagement, and potentially discouraging users from leaving meaningful comments or feedback. As a scientist, it is important to gather and analyze data to understand the effects of the 'Like' function on your forum and make adjustments as needed.