Intro to electrical engineering

In summary: MarlonIn summary, this person is looking for introductory texts on electrical engineering. They suggest looking into "Microelectronic Circuits" from Smith and Sedara, or "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill.
marlon
Hi you all

i am looking for some introductory texts on electrical engineering...you know , how does an opamp work ,and so on ...anyone got some nice online courses ?

marlon

Engineering news on Phys.org
Marlon do you mean you wish to know how to use an OpAmp or understand how it works --- the first is to go to the applictions notes from semi conductor companies and the second is to take an engineering degree .
And in the second case Latin will not help you.
The 'simple OpAmp' is a piece of art and is designed with a knowledge of several disciplines , the simple transistor is govered by about 30 non-linear parameters
with equations to match --- so much so that even single transistor circuits are often unpredictable.
Whereas if you just wish to build something then I do not think you can do better than go to the manufactures who provide excellent guides on all sorts of circuit applications.
But do not expect them to tell you precisely how it works -- it's propriety knowledge

"Microelectronic Circuits" for Sedra and Smith. (I'm using the 5th edition)
It is an introductory course, but it's quite big and of course needs some time if you're going to do it alone :)

"Microelectronic Circuits" from Smith and Sedara is quite a
good book. It is often used as a textbook in school.
If you just want to browse some websites to get idea
before reading the book, you might try

http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/electrical.html

Yah That book is definitely a good book.

It not only introduces the concept of op amp,
it also develops the understanding of bipolar transistors, MOSFETs and circuit analysis and design using the above devices.

It also introduces the concept of filters, tuned amplifiers and frequency response of your amplifier circuits, and so on.

I love that book because it is clear and concise.

Well I got this book and its cheap and covers a lot of material if you are just curious and want some examples:

marlon,

Horowitz and Hill's "The Art of Electronics" is a great read.

- Warren

Thanks for the information cronxeh and chroot...

I also have heard of the art of electronics ; friends of mine (who are electrical engineers) have recommended this book. Thanks again chroot, i am convinced now

marlon

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It involves the use of principles and techniques from physics and mathematics to develop and improve electrical systems, devices, and technologies.

2. What are the main topics covered in an introductory course in electrical engineering?

An introductory course in electrical engineering typically covers topics such as circuit analysis, electromagnetism, electronics, digital systems, power systems, and control systems. It also includes laboratory work to provide hands-on experience with the concepts and tools used in electrical engineering.

3. What are some career opportunities for electrical engineering graduates?

Electrical engineering graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as telecommunications, power and energy, electronics, aerospace, and manufacturing. They can work as electrical engineers, electronics engineers, power systems engineers, control systems engineers, and many other roles that involve designing, developing, and maintaining electrical systems and technologies.

4. Is programming knowledge required for studying electrical engineering?

While programming knowledge is not a prerequisite for studying electrical engineering, it is becoming increasingly important in the field. Many electrical engineering courses cover programming languages such as C and MATLAB, which are used for data analysis and simulation. Additionally, knowledge of programming can be useful for developing control systems and working with embedded systems.

5. What skills are important for success in the field of electrical engineering?

Some important skills for success in electrical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and good communication skills. Additionally, having a solid understanding of mathematics and physics is crucial as these subjects form the foundation of electrical engineering. Being able to work well in a team and adapt to new technologies and tools are also important skills to have in this field.