Material that has characteristics of soil

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for preserving perishable food without a fridge. The main considerations are temperature, air flow, amount of air, and pathogen exposure. The suggested method is to boil the food, seal it with peanut butter, and keep it at a low temperature. This would fulfill the requirements of safely preserving food while maintaining its nutritional characteristics and being more energy-efficient than using a fridge.
Borislava
Hello :)

I am a student searching for a way to preserve raw food without a fridge for an assignment. Thinking about the method in which you wrap your food and bury it to keep it fresh, I wondered if there is some material that resembles the characteristics of soil. Have you came across something like this and do you think it can work for keeping food fresh?

My original task is to find:

• a way to safely preserve perishable food
• that keeps the nutritional characteristic of the food itself unaltered
• that is more energy saving than the best refrigerator available on the market
• not involving:
- drying
- vacuuming
- putting under salt, alcohol, ethyl, oil
- smoking
- marinating
- chemicals
- preservatives

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why bury it?

The key things you need to worry about are:

-Temperature: The higher it is, the faster the spontaneous reactions will occur that lead to degradation.
-Air flow across the "system" boundaries: More air means more oxygen, which is necessary to support most pathogen growth. Air flow can also carry pathogens and "infect" your food item.
-Amount of air within the system: Keeping oxygen out of the system will minimize pathogen growth.
-"pathogen" exposure: Wrapping up your food will help prevent contamination.

The ideal would be to start with completely clean food (no pathogens), seal it completely so that there is no air, and no air flow across the system boundaries, and keep it at a low temperature.

You have to find a loop-hole to accomplish these things without breaking the rules.

Off the top of my head, my suggestion would be to boil your food (ensure that there are no pathogens), then submerge it in peanut butter.

Stuff doesn't grow in peanut butter, and there would be very minimal oxygen exposure.

1. What are the main characteristics of soil?

Soil is a complex mixture of minerals, organic matter, air, water, and living organisms. It has the ability to support plant growth, store and filter water, and provide structural support for buildings and roads.

2. How does soil form?

Soil forms through the process of weathering, which breaks down rocks into smaller particles, and the addition of organic matter from decomposing plants and animals. It can take hundreds or even thousands of years for soil to form.

3. What factors influence the characteristics of soil?

The characteristics of soil can be influenced by various factors including climate, topography, parent material, time, and human activities. These factors determine the type of soil that forms in a particular region.

4. What is the role of soil in supporting plant life?

Soil provides essential nutrients, water, and support for plants to grow and thrive. It also acts as a storage and filtering system for water, which is crucial for plant growth.

5. How can soil be tested for its characteristics?

Soil can be tested for its characteristics using various methods such as texture analysis, chemical analysis, and biological analysis. These tests can provide information on the composition, pH, nutrient levels, and biological activity of the soil.