Generating function for groups of order n

In summary, the conversation is about finding a generating function for enumerating groups of order n, specifically finite abelian groups. The theorem states that the number of abelian groups of order n is given by a complicated partition function. The conversation also mentions a useful generating function for this problem. However, the more general case of enumerating groups of order n is still an unsolved problem closely tied to the distribution of prime numbers.
Number Nine
I've done some searching and have thus far come up empty handed, so I'm hoping that someone here knows something that I don't.

I'm wondering if there has been any work on the enumeration of groups of order n (up to isomorphism); specifically, has anyone derived a generating function? Ideally someone would have one for all groups of order n, but I would imagine that there must at least be one for, say, finite abelian groups?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright; I found a sort-of-answer to one half of my question that someone may find interesting, so I'll post it here.

Theorem: Let n be a positive integer with prime factorization [itex]\prod p_{k}^{e^{k}}[/itex], then the number of abelian groups of order n, up to isomorphism, is given by [itex]\prod \rho(e^{k})[/itex], where [itex]\rho(m)[/itex] is the number of partitions of the integer m.

Useful note: The partition function [itex]\rho(n)[/itex] is horrifically complicated, and is given to us courtesy of Ramanujan. It's easier to use the following generating function...
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\rho(n)q^{n} = \prod_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1-q^{j}}\hspace{3 mm} where\hspace{2 mm} |q^{j}| \le 1[/tex]
EDIT: Apparently the more general case (enumerating groups of order n) is an unsolved problem, which is driving me crazy enough that I've picked up a few books on finite group theory. The problem looks to be very closely tied with the distribution of prime numbers, so this might be difficult...

Last edited:
Cool fact. Thanks.

1. What is a generating function for groups of order n?

A generating function for groups of order n is a mathematical function that encodes the structure and properties of a group of size n. It is a useful tool for studying and analyzing groups, as it allows for the manipulation and calculation of various group properties.

2. How is a generating function for groups of order n constructed?

A generating function for groups of order n is constructed by assigning variables to the elements of the group and then using these variables to define a polynomial or series that represents the group's structure. This function can then be manipulated to reveal different properties of the group.

3. What information can be obtained from a generating function for groups of order n?

A generating function for groups of order n can provide information about the group's order, subgroups, conjugacy classes, and other important group properties. It can also be used to determine the number of elements of a specific order in the group.

4. How is a generating function for groups of order n related to other mathematical concepts?

Generating functions for groups of order n are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as combinatorics, group theory, and abstract algebra. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and graph theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using a generating function for groups of order n?

While generating functions for groups of order n are a powerful tool for understanding group properties, they may not be applicable to all groups. Certain types of groups, such as non-abelian groups, may not have a simple generating function. Additionally, the complexity of the generating function may increase as the order of the group increases, making it more difficult to analyze.