Rational and Irrational Numbers

In summary: They might help you.In summary, Anjuyogi is trying to do a proof by contradiction that a rational + irrational number is irrational, but is having difficulty getting started.
lokisapocalypse
I need to show that a rational + irrational number is irrational. I am trying to do a proof by contradiction.

So far I have:

Suppose a rational, b irrational.
Then a = p/q for p, q in Z.
Then a + b = p/q + b = (p + qb) / q
But I don't know where to go from here because I still have a rational plus an irrational and that is what I am trying to show.

Also, would a similar proof work to show that an irrational + irrational = irrational?

Physics news on Phys.org
lokisapocalypse said:
I need to show that a rational + irrational number is irrational. I am trying to do a proof by contradiction.

So far I have:

Suppose a rational, b irrational.
Then a = p/q for p, q in Z.
Then a + b = p/q + b = (p + qb) / q
But I don't know where to go from here because I still have a rational plus an irrational and that is what I am trying to show.

When you're doing a contradiction, you should assume the opposite of the premise and show that it leads to an absurd conclusion.

For this problem, try this :

Let [itex]a = \frac{p}{q}[/itex] where p and q are coprime integers.

b is irrational.

Now let us say their sum is a rational number, which can be expressed as [itex]\frac{s}{t}[/tex], where s and t are coprime integers.

Then,

[tex]a + b = \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

[tex]b = \frac{s}{t} - a = \frac{s}{t} - \frac{p}{q} = \frac{sq - pt}{qt}[/tex]

We have just shown that b can be expressed as the ratio of two integers. But b is irrational.

This is a contradiction. Hence the assumption is false and the original premise is true.

Also, would a similar proof work to show that an irrational + irrational = irrational?

This isn't even true in general. What can you say about the sum of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex](5 - \sqrt{2})[/tex] ?

The proof is one line. :smile:

So, you're doing proof by contradiction, and have assumed that there are rational numbers p and q, and an irrational number z, such that:

p + z = q

right?

It is also fairly easy to construct counterexamples... but the method might be easier to find once you've done the first problem.

I need to show that a rational - irrational number is irrational. I am trying to do a proof by contradiction.
Plz send me the related answer as I need it...

Last edited:
Since this clearly has nothing to do with physics, I am moving it to "precalculus homework".

Anjuyogi, take a look at the previous posts?

What are rational and irrational numbers?

Rational and irrational numbers are two types of real numbers that can be used to represent quantities. Rational numbers can be written as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

How can I determine if a number is rational or irrational?

A number is rational if it can be written as a fraction of two integers, such as 1/2 or 5/8. On the other hand, a number is irrational if it cannot be written as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals, such as pi or the square root of 2.

What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

The main difference between rational and irrational numbers is that rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Rational numbers also have a finite number of decimal places, while irrational numbers have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

Can irrational numbers be negative?

Yes, irrational numbers can be negative. Just like rational numbers, they can be negative or positive. For example, -pi and -√2 are both negative irrational numbers.

What are some real-life examples of irrational numbers?

Some common real-life examples of irrational numbers include the length of the diagonal of a square with a side length of 1, the value of pi in a circle's circumference, and the square root of 2 in the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides of length 1.