Theoretical computer science

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, there is a suggestion to add Theoretical Computer Science and AI as a new subsection under the mathematics sub-forum on the website. This idea is met with enthusiasm as it is believed that it would generate more interesting discussions and make these topics feel more at home on the website. There is a suggestion to rename the technology forum to "Computer Science and Technology" and add these new topics to it. However, it is also acknowledged that there may not be enough computer science students on the website to warrant a separate forum. It is suggested to conduct a poll to gauge interest in this topic. Some members also mention other forums where AI and computer science are discussed, but note that they are not very active. Overall, it is suggested to
gnome
How about adding Theoretical Computer Science and AI to the description of the Set Theory, Logic, etc. Math sub-forum? I've been posting some threads there as that seemed to be the most appropriate place. But this subject seems sort of lost there. We might get more interesting discussion of these topics if they seemed to actually "belong" someplace in PF. (I suppose they could go down in the Technology area, but they don't really belong in any of the existing sub-forums there. I think the Set Theory-Logic area seems more comfortable.)

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Maybe a new subsection under mathematics can be opened for theory of computation?

Anyway, the new green buttons look sweet.

MAYBE A COMPLETELY NEW SECTION! Come on, this is scientific forum, and we shouldn't discuss just about hardware and software, and about latest technologies. UGHHH!
So I suggest to have a theoretical computing sections where we will talk about data structures and algorithms, AI, Information theory, programming, software engineering, UML, object technologies, etc, etc.

I came to this site, purely for my liking for physics (ofcourse i don't post there, since i am not even qualified to post anything there ... everyone is just too good! I just spoof around in the physics forum and picking some infos but that's abt it)

When i actually came to this site, i was surprised that this forum had such diversification. I guess it would be nice to add computer related forums but it would depend on how many computer-science students actually visit this forum (i can guess a handful in here are from CS).

In any case, if PF plans to add CS section, i have an idea as to how to divide the sections into subforums (Personally i believe these topics can be added under the technology forum which could be renamed as "Computer Science and Technology", thereby retaining the current forums under Technology and adding the new ones and thus ensuring backward compatibility :-] )

Ofcourse it also depends if dduardo is ready to take some new forums under him to moderate :D

-- AI

I thought we had recently discussed this issue. I think the answer was that an earlier version of PF did have a computer science section and it was under-utilized, so dropped. It's possible that the problem isn't placement in the forum you've chosen, but just a lack of people here who have the knowledge of that subject to discuss it, in which case creating a new forum wouldn't be terribly helpful.

Maybe it's time to set up a poll to find out if there are enough computer scientists here who would participate in such a discussion to warrant going to the trouble of finding a specific home for the topics. Unless they're using computer science to address an application already discussed on this board, I doubt this is where many computer scientists would be hanging out (especially since they ought to be better than the rest of us at setting up their own forums elsewhere on the internet to gather).

We never had a Comp Sci Forum. All those threads either went under General Math or Software. But I do like the idea of adding something to a Forum title, as opposed to creating a new Forum.

There have been discussions of AI both in the technology forums and in the Metaphysics and Epistemology Forum (due to the implications for philosophy of mind). I wouldn't recommend the Metaphysics forum for that, though. It gets rather frustrating. Few people there will know the slightest thing about computer science and are more interested in proving a priori that you can't create AI than in devising methods of actually doing it. There is an AI forum at www.ai-forum.org, part of a larger site devoted to the development of AI, but it isn't very active. Maybe if you can think of interesting topics to discuss, it will become more active. I can't even remember the last time I posted there.

I think overall it might be a good idea to address computational sciences in one single location (other material than technology) ... different branches of physics & math use very similar methods and it's certainly an ever booming area (or then I'm biased for working with convergence problems all day long :biggrin: ).

1. What is theoretical computer science?

Theoretical computer science is a branch of computer science that focuses on the fundamental principles of computing and the theoretical foundations of various computer-related topics. It deals with abstract concepts and mathematical models to understand how computers and algorithms work.

2. What are some subfields of theoretical computer science?

Some subfields of theoretical computer science include computational complexity theory, algorithms, formal languages and automata theory, computability theory, and cryptography. These subfields help us understand the limitations and possibilities of computing.

3. How is theoretical computer science different from applied computer science?

Theoretical computer science is more focused on the abstract and mathematical aspects of computing, while applied computer science is more concerned with the practical applications of computing. Theoretical computer science provides the foundation for developing new algorithms and technologies, while applied computer science applies these theories to solve real-world problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of theoretical computer science?

Theoretical computer science has many real-world applications, such as designing efficient algorithms for data processing, developing encryption methods for secure communication, and creating programming languages and compilers. It also plays a crucial role in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and quantum computing.

5. Do I need a strong mathematical background to study theoretical computer science?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is beneficial for studying theoretical computer science, it is not a requirement. Many concepts in theoretical computer science can be understood without advanced mathematical knowledge. However, having a basic understanding of mathematical concepts such as logic, set theory, and discrete mathematics can be helpful in understanding more complex theories and algorithms.