14 year old geek wants to learn physics

In summary, the conversation is about someone's interest in learning physics and their struggle to find good and free resources. Recommendations are made to use Wikipedia for basics and to have a strong foundation in math. The conversation also addresses the negative connotation of being a "geek" and suggests seeking help from a physics teacher.
yup790
I am very interested in physics.

I have been trying to learn physics but I cannot find anything good and free to learn. It doesn't have to cover modern physics but nice if it did.

I have no problem with maths, apart from calculus but i would like to learn.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although a bit cliche I recommend hitting up wikipedia just to get the basics of physics. Newtons laws are crucial to basic physics,so if you are even vaguely familiar with Newtons work you'll be able to handle basic physics. I would also recommend learning the SI base units. Physics is an interesting field of study and is worthwhile endeavour.

Also stop calling yourself a geek, because it has a very negative connotation. :)

Wikipedia is a very good source to learn basic science. The only problem is that is doesn't offer problems to solve. I don't know of any other good source that does. You can ask your physics teacher?

The best way to start learning physics is to work on your math skills. Be proficient at algebra, trig and calculus.

First of all, I am glad to hear that you are interested in physics at such a young age. It is a fascinating and rewarding field of study. I understand the importance of having access to good resources for learning and I commend you for seeking them out.

There are many resources available for learning physics, both online and in print. Some of the best free resources include online lectures and courses from reputable universities, such as MIT OpenCourseWare or Khan Academy. These resources often cover a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics to modern physics, and can be a great starting point for your learning journey.

In addition, there are many free textbooks and educational websites that offer interactive simulations and exercises to help you understand and apply the concepts of physics. You may also want to consider joining online forums or communities where you can ask questions and discuss physics with other enthusiasts.

Regarding your concern with calculus, I would encourage you to continue learning and practicing this important mathematical tool. Many concepts in physics require a solid understanding of calculus, and it will greatly benefit your understanding of the subject.

Overall, the most important thing is to stay curious and motivated. Physics can be challenging at times, but with dedication and the right resources, you can definitely learn and excel in this field. I wish you all the best in your learning journey and I hope you continue to pursue your interest in physics.

1. What are the basic concepts of physics that a 14-year-old can learn?

At 14 years old, a student can start learning about basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts are the building blocks of physics and will help develop a strong foundation for further learning.

2. How can a 14-year-old improve their understanding of physics?

One of the best ways for a 14-year-old to improve their understanding of physics is to practice problem-solving. They can also read books, watch educational videos, and participate in hands-on experiments or demonstrations.

3. What are some resources for a 14-year-old to learn physics?

There are many resources available for a 14-year-old to learn physics, including textbooks, online courses, educational websites, and interactive apps. They can also join a physics club or participate in science fairs to further enhance their learning.

4. Are there any fun ways for a 14-year-old to learn physics?

Yes, there are many fun ways for a 14-year-old to learn physics. They can participate in educational games, build simple machines, or conduct experiments using household items. These activities can make learning physics more enjoyable and engaging.

5. How can a 14-year-old apply their knowledge of physics in everyday life?

A 14-year-old can apply their knowledge of physics in everyday life by understanding the principles behind simple machines, such as levers and pulleys, which are used in many household items. They can also use their understanding of forces and motion to explain everyday phenomena, such as the movement of objects or the behavior of liquids and gases.