How can I solve this tricky algebra problem from PHY404G?

• Thread starter amph1bius
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been trying to solve a problem for the past 10 hours but is struggling with the algebra. They have consulted with another person but have not found a solution. The problem involves time and distance integrals, which can be solved using the given hints. The final result can be simplified to cosh^-1(exp(kd)).
amph1bius
I've tried question #1 on here:
http://www.pa.uky.edu/~cvj/PHY404G/phy404g98_test1/phy404g98_test1.html

for the past 10 hours, i have achieved getting something relatively close, but i cannot do the algebra to prove t=cosh^(-1) etc etc...

has anyone done this problem in the past, i know nitrus has a similar one, and i have talked to him, but it was of no use.

please help me, it is very appreciated.

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a time integral and a distance integral. Did you get those? They are each of the form of the 2 integrals given as hints. Combine and you get

sqrt(k g sin(theta)) t =

(1/2) ln((1+sqrt(Q))/(1-sqrt(Q)))

where

Q = 1 - exp(-2 k d)

The big thing with the ln in it is actually equal to

cosh^-1(exp(kd)),

though it is not obvious. So you are done.

First of all, I want to commend you for putting in so much effort and time into solving this problem. It shows your dedication and determination to understand the material. I understand that it can be frustrating when you have been working on a problem for a long time and still can't seem to get it right.

My advice would be to take a break and step away from the problem for a little while. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you see things differently and make connections that you may have missed before.

If you have already tried reaching out to your classmates and even someone who has solved a similar problem, but it hasn't been of much help, I suggest seeking help from your professor or a tutor. They are there to assist you and guide you through difficult concepts.

Remember, it's okay to ask for help. Don't be afraid to reach out and seek assistance when you need it. Keep persevering and I'm sure you will eventually figure out the solution to this problem. Best of luck!

1. How can I improve my productivity when working for 10+ hours?

Improving productivity when working for long hours can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can try. Firstly, make sure you take breaks and pace yourself throughout the day. This can help prevent burnout and keep your mind fresh. Additionally, try to prioritize your tasks and focus on the most important ones first. Finally, make sure you are getting enough sleep and taking care of your physical and mental health, as this can greatly impact productivity.

2. What are the potential negative effects of working for 10+ hours?

Working for long hours can have negative effects on both physical and mental health. It can lead to exhaustion, burnout, and increased stress levels. It may also decrease productivity and increase the likelihood of making mistakes. Additionally, long working hours have been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, depression, and other health issues.

3. How can I stay motivated when working for extended periods of time?

Staying motivated when working for long periods of time can be difficult, but there are a few strategies you can try. Firstly, set clear and achievable goals for yourself to work towards. This can help you stay focused and motivated. Additionally, try to break up your tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, and reward yourself after completing each one. Lastly, find ways to make the work more enjoyable or meaningful, such as listening to music or reminding yourself of the bigger picture.

4. What are some tips for maintaining good health while working for 10+ hours?

Maintaining good health while working for long hours is crucial. Firstly, make sure you are taking regular breaks and stretching throughout the day to prevent muscle tension and strain. Additionally, try to eat healthy meals and snacks to fuel your body and keep your energy levels up. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and try to incorporate some physical activity into your day, even if it's just a short walk. Lastly, prioritize getting enough sleep to allow your body to rest and recover.

5. Is working for 10+ hours a day sustainable?

Working for 10+ hours a day is not sustainable in the long run. It can lead to burnout, decreased productivity, and negative impacts on both physical and mental health. It is important to find a balance between work and personal life and to prioritize self-care. If you are consistently working long hours, it may be necessary to reassess your workload and make changes to promote a healthier and more sustainable work-life balance.