Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, partial fraction decomposition is used to express a fraction as the sum of two fractions with simpler denominators. The temporary variables A and B are used as placeholders for the unknown numerators until they can be solved for. This process may seem confusing at first, but it is necessary for finding the values of A and B in order to solve the equation.
Taylor_1989
I have been having trouble of late with partial fraction decomposition. Not so much the maths, but the intuition behind it. What I mean by this, but a question in front of me, I now what procedure to follow to get the answer, but I don't get why you follow the said produced. I will give an example to show what parts I don't understand.

Partial fraction decomposition: 8x-42/x^2+3x-18

Factor the denominator: I understand it a quadratic: which gives me
8x-42/(x+6)(x-3)

Now this is the part I do not understand: Why do you use A and B, why do they appear? I really can't see the intuition behind this.
8x-42/x^2+3x-18 = A/x+6 + B/x-3 The rest from here I know how to do: find the LCM and the replace x with and number to = one equation to 0 to see find the value for the A or B.

I do hope I have put this in the right forum, as is my first time posting maths equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you factor the denominator, you know that you can express the fraction as the sum of the two fractions:
[itex]\Large \frac{(Some Number)}{x+6}+\frac{(Some Other Number)}{x-3}[/itex]
You don't know what the numerator on the fractions are, so you just give them temporary names until you can find the actual value that goes in place of them. "Some other number" doesn't look very nice in an equation, so instead they're typically called "A" and "B." You can give them any temporary name you want, but really it's just a placeholder for the real value.

I see now, thanks for the fast response, it has been bother me for sometime. Once again thanks big help.

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to simplify and break down a rational function into smaller, easier-to-manipulate fractions. It is commonly used in calculus and algebra to solve integrals and perform other mathematical operations.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition allows us to simplify complex rational functions, making them easier to manipulate and solve. It can also help us solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you must first factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each factor, and solve for the unknown coefficients. Finally, you combine the fractions back together to get the simplified form.

What are the types of partial fraction decomposition?

The two types of partial fraction decomposition are proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition is used when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper partial fraction decomposition is used when the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

What are some applications of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus to solve integrals, as well as in differential equations and Laplace transforms. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving complex rational functions.