Evaluating expression involving permutation symbol and Kronecker delta

In summary, the given expression can be simplified using the properties of the Kronecker delta and the definition of the Levi-Civita symbol. The final solution is 3.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following expression:
[itex]\sum_{j}\sum_{k}\epsilon_{ijk}\delta_{jk}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] = [itex][i = j][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a solution attempt to this one yet, because somehow I completely missed out on what the permutation thing has to do with anything.

This is the second expression given on this homework assigment. The first one was a little easier, which I did work out, and came up with the solution. I'm going to show you guys this first problem so you know I at least know a little of what I'm doing..

Evaluate expression:
[itex]\sum_{i}\sum_{k}\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji}[/itex]

I used my knowledge of the Kronecker delta to say that:
[itex]\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji} = \delta_{ii} = \delta_{jj}[/itex]

Then using my knowledge of the trace of an n x n matrix (since I'm only dealing with square matrices), the trace of an n x n matrix is just n. So the final solution to the expression I found to be:
[itex]\sum_{i}\sum_{k}\delta_{ij}\delta_{ji} = \sum_{i}\delta_{ii} = tr(I_{i}) = i[/itex]

So I do have some of the knowledge I'm expected to have, but I really have no idea how to progress further, with the [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] thrown in there. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for sharing your attempt at the first expression and your concerns about the second one. It seems like you have a good understanding of the Kronecker delta and the trace of a matrix. To evaluate the second expression, you can use the same approach as you did for the first one.

First, we can use the property of the Kronecker delta, \delta_{ij} = [i = j], to simplify the expression to:
\sum_{j}\sum_{k}\epsilon_{ijk}\delta_{jk} = \sum_{j}\sum_{k}\epsilon_{ijk}[j = k]

Next, we can use the definition of the Levi-Civita symbol, \epsilon_{ijk}, to further simplify the expression. The Levi-Civita symbol is defined as:
\epsilon_{ijk} = \begin{cases}
1, & \text{if } (i,j,k) \text{ is an even permutation of } (1,2,3) \\
-1, & \text{if } (i,j,k) \text{ is an odd permutation of } (1,2,3) \\
0, & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}

Using this definition, we can see that the only non-zero terms in the summation occur when i, j, and k are all different. This means that the only possible permutations of (i,j,k) are (1,2,3) and (3,1,2), which are both even permutations. Therefore, we can simplify the expression to:
\sum_{j}\sum_{k}\epsilon_{ijk}[j = k] = \sum_{j}\sum_{k}1[j = k]

Finally, using the property of the Kronecker delta again, we can simplify the expression to:
\sum_{j}\sum_{k}1[j = k] = \sum_{j}\delta_{jj} = \sum_{j}1 = 3

So the final solution to the expression is 3. I hope this helps and clarifies how the permutation and Kronecker delta come into play. Keep up the great work!

1. What is the permutation symbol and Kronecker delta used for in evaluating expressions?

The permutation symbol and Kronecker delta are mathematical symbols used to simplify and evaluate expressions involving indices or variables. They help to indicate specific patterns or relationships between terms in an expression.

2. How do you determine the value of the permutation symbol in an expression?

The permutation symbol, denoted by ε, takes on a value of 1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of the indices. If the indices are in a cyclic order (e.g. 123, 234, etc.), ε equals 1. If the indices are in an anti-cyclic order (e.g. 321, 432, etc.), ε equals -1. Otherwise, ε equals 0.

3. Can the permutation symbol be used to swap indices in an expression?

Yes, the permutation symbol can be used to swap indices in an expression. This is because ε equals -1 when the indices are swapped, effectively changing the sign of the expression.

4. How does the Kronecker delta simplify expressions involving repeated indices?

The Kronecker delta, denoted by δ, takes on a value of 1 when the two indices are equal, and 0 when they are not equal. This allows for simplification of expressions with repeated indices, as terms with equal indices will have a value of 1 and can be factored out of the expression.

5. Are there any other uses for the permutation symbol and Kronecker delta besides evaluating expressions?

Yes, these symbols have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in vector calculus, tensor analysis, and quantum mechanics to represent and manipulate mathematical objects and equations.