Building a Basic Robot - Resources & Advice

In summary, the conversation is about building a basic automated robot and seeking recommendations for resources. The suggested steps include choosing a microcontroller, learning to program it, and looking for projects online. The use of AI in the robot's functionality is also discussed, with suggestions for a programmable robot using a Basic Stamp II controller.
CronoSpark
Hello,

I would like to build a basic automated robot. Is there any recommendations on what resources I should look at?

Edit:
Currently, my objectives for the robot is:

-Ability to move along a 2-D flat surface (with wheels)
-Able to pick up and transfer an erasor (using optical (IR) sensors/closed feedback)

Edit:

Should this thread be in the Mechanical Engineering section?

Thanks,

-CronoSpark

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. First of all, pick a microcontroller. Microchip's PIC is a nice one. They even send free samples to you. You can also use Motorola chips or any brand you like. Then, learn to program it. Its really more easy than doing it with hardware. Then, look for projects in the web: there are tons of free projects. I would recommend you check
http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/pic_tutorial.htm
Hope it helps

I see a ton of do-it-yourelf robotics books in the engineering section at my local Border's book store. I'd say take a look and google robotics. There are a ton of sites out there like was already mentioned.

Besides the microcontroller, is AI necessary for making a robot?

You can experiment with ARobot from Arrick Robotics.
http://www.robotics.com/arobot/
Its a programmable robot using Basic Stamp II controller using the PBasic Language. Is definitely a very expandable robot and a good start. I plan on purchasing this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the microcontroller, is AI necessary for making a robot?
It dpeneds on what you mean by "AI".

I would consider the logic necessary to:

(1) Locate and identify the eraser.
(2) Determine its spatial position.
(3) Figure out how to get to it.
(4) Figure out how to get to the destination.

to all fall under the term "artificial intelligence".

1. How do I get started with building a basic robot?

To get started with building a basic robot, you will need to familiarize yourself with the basics of robotics, including components such as motors, sensors, and microcontrollers. You can also find online resources and tutorials to guide you through the process.

2. What tools and materials do I need for building a basic robot?

The tools and materials you will need will depend on the specific design and function of your robot. However, some common items include a microcontroller, motors, wheels, sensors, wires, and a power source. You may also need a soldering iron, screwdrivers, and other basic tools.

3. How can I make sure my robot is safe to operate?

Before operating your robot, it is important to thoroughly test and troubleshoot its functionality to ensure it is safe to use. You should also follow safety guidelines when handling electrical components and make sure all connections are secure.

4. How can I program my robot to perform specific tasks?

Programming a robot involves writing code to control its movements and responses to its environment. You will need to choose a programming language that is compatible with your microcontroller and use it to write commands and functions that will guide your robot's actions.

5. What are some good resources for learning more about building a basic robot?

There are many online resources available for learning about robotics and building basic robots. Some popular options include online tutorials, forums and communities for robotics enthusiasts, and books or courses on robotics and programming. You can also attend workshops or join a robotics club to gain hands-on experience and learn from others in the field.