IYPT question on gravity wells and usage of elastic space.

In summary, the conversation is about a participant in the International Young Physicists' Tournament (IYPT) seeking help with formulating a hypothesis related to gravity and objects with mass. The participant is relatively new to the subject and is looking for ideas that can be investigated within realistic parameters using equipment from a school lab. They are also wondering if their hypothesis can be linked to theories of relativity. The IYPT allows for the use of all kinds of resources, including outside help, during the competition.
vishnu manoj
I am participating in the IYPT and i have encountered a question on elastic space which relates to gravity wells. I need to get a proper hypothesis that can be investigated within realistic parameters. I unable to get any new ideas because i am relatively new to the subject and don't have much to go on. Here's the question-

The dynamics and apparent interactions of massive balls rolling on a stretched
horizontal membrane are often used to illustrate gravitation. Investigate the system
further. Is it possible to define and measure the apparent “gravitational constant” in
such a “world”?

i wanted to know if i could link my hypothesis with the theories of relativity which could be investigated with equipment from a school lab of course and whether you could suggest some other ideas i should investigate my hypothesis on. It does not necessarily have to be related to gravity wells but related in some way to gravity and their interactions with objects with mass, gravity wells is just something i came up with
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is IYPT? Is it a contest? If so, what are the rules about getting outside help?

bcrowell said:
What is IYPT? Is it a contest? If so, what are the rules about getting outside help?
International Young Physicists' Tournament:

The IYPT, sometimes also referred to as “Physics World Cup” is a team-oriented scientific competition among teams of secondary school students. The participants present their solutions to scientific problems they have prepared over several months and then discuss their solutions with other teams.

What kind of resources may be used by the students during the IYPT?

Generally speaking, all kinds of resources are allowed. It is customary for the teams to use things like pocket calculators, dictionaries, laptops, literature, notes, etc. Everything is allowed. The only thing which is explicitly forbidden is the communication between the students and non-participants during the fights.

http://iypt.org/Tournaments/FAQ

Edit: It appears it doesn't start until July so I assume getting help now would be allowed.

Last edited:
yeah it is fine just need a brain storm and the link to all the rules are here http://ilyam.org/FDD_2013_IYPT_Reference_kit.pdf. i just need ideas for a hypothesis that's all because i am a beginner in the field and need help in formulating ideas. it can be even be related to differential equations and i can grasp physics concepts of any caliber easily because i am versed with complex mathematical concepts and topics. Just need ideas because i am new to this, that's all . Greatly appreciate your help if you can lend me your ideas.

oh yeah and the contest allows for outside help to be allowed as they are willing for participants to get ideas from any and all sources possible

1. How does gravity affect objects in a gravity well?

Gravity affects objects in a gravity well by pulling them towards the center of the well. This is due to the curvature of space caused by the presence of a massive object, such as a planet or star.

2. What is elastic space and how is it related to gravity wells?

Elastic space refers to the concept that space can be stretched or compressed due to the presence of massive objects. This is related to gravity wells because the curvature of space caused by these objects creates a sort of "well" that objects can fall into.

3. Can gravity wells be created artificially?

Yes, gravity wells can be created artificially through the use of massive objects or intense energy. For example, scientists have created small artificial gravity wells in laboratory settings using high-powered lasers.

4. What is the relationship between time and gravity wells?

Time is affected by gravity wells because the curvature of space also affects the flow of time. The closer an object is to the center of a gravity well, the slower time moves for that object. This is known as gravitational time dilation.

5. Are there practical applications for understanding gravity wells and elastic space?

Yes, understanding gravity wells and elastic space is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and space exploration. It helps scientists understand the behavior of objects in space and has practical applications in areas such as satellite navigation and space travel.