Determine the Maximum Tensile and Compressive Stresses in the Beam

In summary, the question involves determining the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in portion BC of a beam, with two vertical forces applied. The centroid of the cross-section is calculated and the parallel axis theorem is used to determine the inertia, Ix. The greatest moment value is found to be 600 kip-in and the final answers are 8.82 ksi T and 14.72 ksi C. There was confusion regarding the y-values, but it is clarified that the correct values are 3 in for the tensile stress and 5 in for the compressive stress.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Two vertical forces are applied to a beam of the cross section shown. Determine the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in portion BC of the beam

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

σ = P/A +/- My/Ix

Ix = Ix + Ad2 ---> parallel axis theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the centroid to be:

x = 4.5 in

y = 3 in

I did this by dividing the shape into two rectangles, determining the centers of those rectangles from an arbitrarily assigned origin, O, which I assigned to be at the bottom left of the lower rectangle.

I then used the parallel axis theorem to calculate the Inertia, Ix

P = 0 because the sum of the forces is 0.

M is the greatest moment value, which I found to be 600 kip-in.

My confusion is how do I determine the y value? I believe that the greatest tensile and compressive stresses would be at the bottom and top of the bar respectively, but my notes indicate that the correct y-values are 3 in for the tensile stress and 5 in for the compressive stress. I had thought that the y values was from the centroid of the cross-section which makes me think it should be 3 in for the max compressive and tensile forces.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I know the final answers are

8.82 ksi T

14.72 ksi C

Attachments

• Deforms 38.png
    Deforms 38.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 2,762
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out.

What is the purpose of determining the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in a beam?

The purpose of determining the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in a beam is to ensure that the beam is able to withstand the expected loads and forces without experiencing failure or deformation. This information is crucial in the design and construction of structures such as bridges, buildings, and machines.

What factors affect the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in a beam?

The maximum tensile and compressive stresses in a beam are affected by various factors such as the type of material used, the dimensions and shape of the beam, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, and the support conditions at each end of the beam.

How is the maximum tensile stress calculated in a beam?

The maximum tensile stress in a beam can be calculated using the formula σ = My/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the beam.

How is the maximum compressive stress calculated in a beam?

The maximum compressive stress in a beam can be calculated using the formula σ = P/A, where σ is the stress, P is the compressive force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam. This formula assumes that the beam is loaded in compression along its longitudinal axis.

What are some common methods used to reduce the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in a beam?

Some common methods used to reduce the maximum tensile and compressive stresses in a beam include increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam, adding support at critical points, using stronger or more durable materials, and redistributing the load by altering the shape or profile of the beam.