Source-free 2nd order lin. circuit

In summary: I wrong?In summary, the given equation for Vc(t) and iL(t) in an RLC second order linear network can be expressed as x(t) = 2nd deriv of x(t) + R/L(1st deriv of x(t)) + 1/(LC)(x(t)) = 0. This is the same for both Vc(t) and iL(t), and the solutions for both are also the same. The relationship between V and I in an RLC circuit is V = IZ, where Z is the impedance. The general solution for the given differential equation is x = A_0e^{-\gamma t}sin(\omega t+\phi) with \omega^2 = \
EvLer
RLC second order linear network question:
So, we are given this equation which is the same for Vc(t) and iL(t) expressed as x(t):

2nd deriv of x(t) + R/L(1st deriv of x(t)) + 1/(LC)(x(t)) = 0;

And in one of the problems it asks to find both equation for the Vc(t) and iL(t) for t < 0, and now I am confused, it seems to me that they are the same, since the solution is the same for both of them:

aS^2 + bS + c = 0;
because the coefficients are the same from differential equation, so there are the same roots for Vc(t) and iL(t), and roots are w/t imaginary part, just reals.
Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
RLC second order linear network question:
So, we are given this equation which is the same for Vc(t) and iL(t) expressed as x(t):

2nd deriv of x(t) + R/L(1st deriv of x(t)) + 1/(LC)(x(t)) = 0;
I am not sure I understand what you are asking exactly, but perhaps this will help.

An LC circuit with resistance is simply a damped harmonic oscillator. The differential equation:

[tex]L\ddot x(t) + R\dot x(t) + \frac{1}{C}x(t) = 0[/tex]

has the general solution:

[tex]x = A_0e^{-\gamma t}sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

where [itex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 - \gamma^2[/itex] and
[itex]\omega_0^2 = 1/LC[/itex] and
[itex]\gamma = R/2L[/itex]

The relationship between V and I in an RLC circuit is:

[tex]V = IZ[/tex] where is the impedance: [itex]Z^2 = R^2 + (\omega L - 1/\omega C)^2[/itex]

AM

Last edited:

You are correct in thinking that the equations for Vc(t) and iL(t) are the same. This is because in a source-free circuit, the voltage and current are related by the same differential equation.

In this case, the solution to the differential equation will be the same for both Vc(t) and iL(t). This is because the circuit elements (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) are the same for both variables, so the coefficients in the differential equation will be the same.

Therefore, the roots of the characteristic equation will also be the same for both Vc(t) and iL(t). This means that the solutions for Vc(t) and iL(t) will have the same form, just with different constants. This is why you see the same solution for both variables.

So, in conclusion, you are not wrong. The equations for Vc(t) and iL(t) will be the same in a source-free circuit, and this is because of the relationship between voltage and current in this type of circuit.

1. What is a source-free 2nd order linear circuit?

A source-free 2nd order linear circuit is a type of electronic circuit that does not contain any external sources, such as batteries or generators. It only consists of passive components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. What is the significance of a 2nd order circuit?

A 2nd order circuit refers to a circuit that contains second-order differential equations in its analysis. This means that the circuit has two energy storage elements, such as inductors and capacitors, which makes it more complex than a 1st order circuit.

3. What is the difference between a 2nd order circuit and a 1st order circuit?

The main difference between a 2nd order circuit and a 1st order circuit is the presence of energy storage elements. A 2nd order circuit contains two energy storage elements, while a 1st order circuit only has one. This makes 2nd order circuits more complex to analyze and design.

4. How do you solve a source-free 2nd order linear circuit?

To solve a source-free 2nd order linear circuit, you need to use techniques such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis, along with the equations for inductors and capacitors. You can also use Laplace transforms to convert the circuit into the s-domain and solve it algebraically.

5. What are some applications of source-free 2nd order linear circuits?

Source-free 2nd order linear circuits have various applications in electronics, such as in filter circuits, oscillators, and signal processing. They are also used in control systems to model the behavior of systems with two energy storage elements.