Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with Calculus after a long break from mathematics and is seeking help with the course. They are unable to purchase a solutions manual and are asking for assistance through online forums.
kape
Hello! This isn't exactly a maths problem but I did not know where else to post and I am in a bit of a fix!

I'm taking Calculus after a very long hiatus from anything to do with mathematics and I'm finding the going quite hard. I'm was actually freaking out three weeks ago (when the course started) and now I'm just very worried. We are using Thomas' Calculus 11th (International) Edition and it is, frankly, a little hard to understand. Probably because I hardly remember anything, not to mention, I didn't really know it very well in the first place - probably why I forgot it all. A few days before my course started I started looking at my high school - no - my middle school textbook and I was stumped at factorisation. I just did NOT know what factorising was. But I digress.

To cut to the chase, I tried to order the "Student's Solutions Manual (Part One) I needed to (hopefully) pass this course. I tried ordering from the Pearson Addison-Wesley website but for some reason I got an error. I e-mailed them and waited for a few days. When they e-mailed me back they said that could not ship to where I live (probably a good place to mention that I don't live in the united states).

So here's my cry of help! Does anyone have this book? And if you do, could I e-mail you when I get stuck and ask you for the solution? I know it's asking a lot, but I'm really grasping at straws now. I would appreciate the help. If I had money, I'd use MailBoxesEtc but.. I don't. I'm not sure if I could have afforded to buy it online - and shipping is terribly expensive.

Oh well. And though I'm not sure if such a thing exists, if anyone has a pdf, an electronic version they can send me, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello & welcome to Physicsforums !:smile:

1.There's no need to dispair.The world won't end,if u don't have a book.
2.If u have problems with calculus,u can use this forum to post them and to get help.It would be better,though,if u had worked on the problems,before posting them here,because it's not in our policy to solve problems for you.They're not out problems,we only help by giving hints.
3.I really doubt the book is free on the internet,after all,it's copyrighted material...

Daniel.

Thanks for the welcome!
1 - I hope so! haha!
2 - I understand, and I agree. I wanted the solutions book in case I couldn't solve the problem. Though.. I there are, erm, too many I cannot solve. Hard to learn precalc and calc at the same time! (Sigh)
3 - Ah, I thought that may be the case.. I guess I am just grasping at straws. :D

Welcome, kape. Don't worry, you're not the only one to return to school after a long absence. You can do it. Make an honest effort & you will get the help you need. People here have been fabulously helpful to me, willing to put up with even my most moronic questions. :tongue:

Good luck.

PS: here are a couple of links you may find helpful:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/
http://www.qcalculus.com/topics.htm

Last edited:

1. What is "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual"?

"Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" is a companion book to the popular calculus textbook "Thomas' Calculus" by George B. Thomas, Jr. It contains detailed solutions to the exercises and problems found in the textbook, making it a valuable resource for students studying calculus.

2. Who is the author of "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual"?

The author of "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" is Joel R. Hass, a renowned mathematician and professor at the University of California, Davis. He has co-authored several calculus textbooks and has received numerous awards and honors for his contributions to mathematics education.

3. Is "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" necessary for studying calculus?

No, "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" is not necessary for studying calculus. It is meant to be a supplement to the textbook and can be helpful for students who want additional practice and guidance with solving problems. However, the textbook itself contains all the necessary material for learning calculus.

4. Are the solutions in "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" step-by-step?

Yes, the solutions in "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" are step-by-step and provide detailed explanations for each step. This can be helpful for students who are struggling with understanding the concepts and need additional guidance.

5. Can "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" be used for self-study?

Yes, "Thomas' Calculus: Student Solutions Manual" can be used for self-study. It is designed to help students practice and improve their problem-solving skills, making it a useful resource for independent studying. However, it is recommended to also use the textbook and consult with a teacher or tutor for a comprehensive understanding of the material.