Lateral thinking puzzle

In summary, x=1, while x>=1:1. Printed "what you did for the last 10 seconds."2. Waited3. Printed "x=1"4. Waited5. Printed "while x>=1:In summary, x=1, while x>=1:1. Printed "what you did for the last 10 seconds."2. Waited3. Printed "x=1"4. Waited5. Printed "while x>=1:
surprise
You're in an empty room. You have a pen and paper. Every 10 seconds you have to write what you did for the last 10 seconds. What would you write after 20 seconds?

Think 'outside' the box (no pun intended).

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write nothing, but that doesn't seem to fit the requirements.
I'll think on it a bit after some more beers.
(That "nothing", by the bye, assumes that regular functions such as breathing and sitting still are exempt.)

He doesn't write the word "nothing" nor does he simply not write anything entirely. So you'd be wrong.

And yes, let's ignore the obvious (he breaths, sits, exists etc.).

"I did write something on this paper 10 seconds ago" is probably what I will write after 20 seconds

Waited.

inotyce said:
"I did write something on this paper 10 seconds ago" is probably what I will write after 20 seconds

Something in that format, but not the right answer.

@ Borek

No, wrong answer.

The italics that the OP's name is offered in suggests that he no longer is a member here. So... is there a legitimate answer to this question? It's driving me nuts.
And, by the bye, I almost universally use lateral thinking. (The test that I took referred to it as "analytical tracking".)

Here's what I'd write after 20 seconds: I read what I wrote 10 seconds ago. :biggrin:

One of:

"Wrote what i did in the first ten seconds; watched the clock."

"Wrote what i did in the first ten seconds."

"Dammit, I don't write quick enough."

I should think. This is the internet, so I'm excluding "proof-reading" without further examination.

10 seconds later: I wrote the first line
20 seconds later: I wrote the second line
30 seconds later: I wrote the third line

"I wrote the above line"

"I took the word empty too literally and died of explosive decompression"

"Pondered on whether one can truly be in an empty room"

Crap, my pen is running out of i"

Lol OS!

Gad said:
Lol OS!

Seconded. :biggrin:

I think you don't need to write more than one line:

I will write something after 10 seconds just the same as I wrote now.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Entered the empty room.
Repeat every 10 seconds (or write "the same").

My guess is that it would take you about 10 seconds to write a couple sentences, so there might be some overlap depending on what you'd decided to do. If you chose to do something interesting instead of just sit there, then I think you'd have a hard time completing the description of what you did before you'd start to "step on the toes" of your next 10 second interval. In other words, if you did something during the first 10 seconds that took you longer than 10 seconds to write, then at 20 seconds you'd write, "I wrote about what I did during the first 10 seconds". Now, after 20 seconds would depend on how long it took you to write about what you did during the first 10 seconds, and whether you chose to do something with enough time to write about it.

Are we limited to physical experiences? If not, I could daydream quite a scenario and write that down.

Last edited:
Code:
while(true){
System.out.println("I wrote");
Thread.Sleep(10000);
}

I think that should cover the whole content of the paper you will find after I am allowed to stop.

As soon as you enter an empty room that room is no longer empty.

Last edited:
Dadface said:
My gosh, that is so true. :eek: How could I not see that small but true detail?!

Dadface said:

The oldest person alive can never die.

surprise said:
Every 10 seconds you have to write what you did for the last 10 seconds.
x=1
while x>=1:
print("what you did for the last 10 seconds.")
x=x+1
#still can't get a time element in

What is a lateral thinking puzzle?

A lateral thinking puzzle is a type of brain teaser that requires thinking outside of the box and using creative or unconventional approaches to solve. These puzzles often involve scenarios or situations that may seem impossible or illogical, but can be solved by looking at the problem from a different perspective.

How do you solve a lateral thinking puzzle?

Solving a lateral thinking puzzle involves approaching the problem with an open mind and considering all possible solutions, even if they seem unlikely or unconventional. It also helps to ask questions and gather more information about the puzzle, as well as thinking creatively and using your imagination.

What are some strategies for solving lateral thinking puzzles?

Some strategies for solving lateral thinking puzzles include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, considering multiple perspectives, and using analogies or comparisons to help generate ideas. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the puzzle with a fresh perspective.

How can lateral thinking puzzles benefit the brain?

Lateral thinking puzzles can benefit the brain by stimulating creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. They also encourage individuals to think outside of their usual thought patterns and can help improve cognitive flexibility and mental agility.

Where can you find lateral thinking puzzles to solve?

Lateral thinking puzzles can be found online, in puzzle books, or in games and apps. They can also be created by individuals or used in team-building exercises to promote creative thinking and collaboration.