Exploring Diesel Engine Friction and Fuel Mass Flow Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between engine power and fuel mass flow rate, specifically at high loads. The graph provided shows a gentle exponential curve with some curvature likely due to higher fuel volumes requiring a longer injection period. The conversation also mentions the possibility of increased engine friction at high loads and suggests extrapolating the Willans line to estimate mechanical losses.
Alex91
Hi

I have been plotting a Willans line, (engine power against fuel mass flow rate) and I noticed that the line is fairly linear up to about 75% and then it starts to increase a bit more dramatically.

• So I was wondering how does engine power at a fixed RPM effect fuel mass flow rate?
  • Is it directly proportional or is it squared? And how would you prove this?
  • Is there an equation that you can use that shows how the two affect each other?

Any Help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
Alex91 said:
… then it starts to increase a bit more dramatically.
Which increases, the power or the fuel flow?
It would help if you could post a copy of the graph with annotations on the scales.

High fuel flow will require a greater time to inject so it will not be as efficient.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached a graph of the power against fuel mass flow rate at 1000rpm.

As the engine reaches it's full load, the fuel mass flow rate starts to increase a lot more dramatically. As you can see from the graph, the last four points don't really follow the linear trend of the rest of the graph..

It's almost as if at the very highest loads the engine friction increases a lot more for some reason.

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

• Fuel against power.jpg
    Fuel against power.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 568
Your graph shows what looks like a very gentle exponential curve. The curvature is I believe due to the higher fuel volumes requiring a greater period of injection. The line should not be expected to be straight.

Alex91 said:
It's almost as if at the very highest loads the engine friction increases a lot more for some reason.
As the two end points fall below the exponential trend, an opposite conclusion is also possible. I cannot explain those two or three points at the high kW end. It is possible that there could be a significant error in the 14 kW measurement. Whatever the interpretation, it is the wrong end of the graph to yield an estimate of the mechanical losses at the test RPM.

The mechanical losses can be estimated by extrapolating the low power end of the Willans line to zero fuel consumption. The negative x–axis intercept then represents the mechanical power loss. That is the friction of the motor at the test RPM. The extension about the origin is missing from your graph so the extrapolation is not easy. See my attached approximation that shows mechanical losses are somewhere between 2 kW and 4 kW.

Attachments

• extrapolated.jpg
    extrapolated.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 597

1. What is the purpose of exploring diesel engine friction and fuel mass flow rate?

The purpose of exploring diesel engine friction and fuel mass flow rate is to better understand how these factors impact the overall performance and efficiency of a diesel engine. By studying the friction and fuel flow within the engine, scientists can develop strategies to reduce friction and optimize fuel consumption, leading to improved engine performance and reduced emissions.

2. How is friction measured in a diesel engine?

Friction in a diesel engine is typically measured using a device called a friction dynamometer. This instrument measures the amount of force required to overcome friction within the engine components, such as the pistons, crankshaft, and bearings. This data can then be used to calculate the engine's overall frictional losses.

3. How does fuel mass flow rate affect diesel engine performance?

Fuel mass flow rate is a crucial factor in determining the power output and efficiency of a diesel engine. The rate at which fuel is supplied to the engine directly affects the combustion process and the amount of power generated. By studying the fuel mass flow rate, scientists can optimize the engine's fuel delivery system for maximum performance and efficiency.

4. What factors can contribute to increased friction in a diesel engine?

Several factors can contribute to increased friction in a diesel engine, including inadequate lubrication, excessive wear on engine components, and high operating temperatures. Additionally, the design and material of engine components can also influence friction levels.

5. How can scientists reduce friction and optimize fuel mass flow rate in diesel engines?

To reduce friction and optimize fuel mass flow rate in diesel engines, scientists can employ various techniques such as using advanced lubricants, implementing precision machining techniques, and utilizing lightweight and low-friction engine components. Additionally, advanced fuel injection systems and engine control technologies can also help to optimize fuel delivery and reduce frictional losses.