? is to QM as Jackson is to electrodynamics.

In summary: Physics.In summary, the conversation is about the person's plan to build a mini library of classic books in various subjects. They have already decided on Goldstein for classical mechanics and Jackson for electrodynamics. They are now seeking suggestions for books on quantum mechanics, statistical physics, solid state physics, and nonequilibrium statistical mechanics. Some suggestions include Galindo & Pascual, J.J. Sakurai, J. Schwinger, W. Greiner, L.D. Landau & E.M. Lifschitz, K. Huang, R. Balescu, and Ch. Kittel. Mermin is also mentioned as a standard for solid state physics.
inha
I've been planning to get myself a minilibrary consisting of the classic books in various subjects. So far I've decided to get Goldstein for classical mechanics and Jackson for electrodynamics.

On the top of those I think I should have books of "similiar status" for QM, statistical physics and solid state physics. Any suggestions?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,Galindo & Pascual [1].2 volumes.I think Springer editted one edition,back in '90.

The best there is.You could switch to J.J.Sakurai[2],if u don't like functional analysis...:wink:

Springer also published J.Schwinger's [3] course.It is rather good.

As for statistical phsysics,well,for learning/as a textbook (meaning a lot of examples & calculations),i'd say the book on thermo & stat in the Greiner[4] series.For more advanced look,either the 2 volumes in the Landau & Lifschitz [5,6]collection,or K.Huang [7].

For nonequilibrium SM,i'd say R.Balescu's [8]1975 book is good...

Zapper or someone else may give insights into solid state pysics.Kittel's [9]introductory book could be used as a textbook...

Daniel.
-----------------------------------------------------------
[1]Galindo & Pascual,"Quantum Mechanics",Springer Verlag,1990.
[2] J.J.Sakurai,"Modern Quantum Mechanics",Addison-Wesley,2-nd ed.,1993.
[3]J.Schwinger,"Quantum Mechanics",Springer Verlag,2001.
[4]W.Greiner,"Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics",any edition of the 2 published.
[5]L.D.Landau,E.M.Lifschitz,"Statistical Physics",Part I,vol.5 of their course.
[6]L.D.Landau,E.M.Lifschitz,"Statistical Physics",Part II,vol.9 of their course.
[7]K.Haung,"Statistical Mechanics",2-nd ed.,Wiley,1987.
[8]R.Balescu,"Equilibrium and Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics",Wiley,1975.
[9]Ch.Kittel,"Introduction to solid state physics" (any edition,preferably the latest).

Likes Delta2
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll browse through those for a bit to see which I like better.

Mermin is the standard for Solid State

Likes Delta2

1. What is QM and how does it relate to Jackson and electrodynamics?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is a scientific theory that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Jackson refers to John David Jackson, an American physicist known for his work in electrodynamics. Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. The phrase "is to" in this context means that QM is comparable or similar to Jackson's work on electrodynamics.

2. What is the significance of this comparison?

The comparison between QM and Jackson's work on electrodynamics highlights the similarities between the two fields. Both theories deal with the fundamental laws of nature and provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles and fields. Additionally, the comparison shows the interconnectedness and overlap between different areas of physics.

3. How does QM explain the behavior of particles at the atomic level?

QM explains the behavior of particles at the atomic level through the use of mathematical equations and principles, such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle. It describes how particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and how they interact with each other through the exchange of energy. QM also provides a probabilistic understanding of particles, rather than the deterministic approach of classical physics.

4. How does Jackson's work on electrodynamics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Jackson's work on electrodynamics has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped us develop technologies such as electric motors, generators, and telecommunications. It has also contributed to our understanding of how electromagnetic fields and forces govern the behavior of particles and matter in the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of QM and Jackson's work on electrodynamics?

Both QM and Jackson's work on electrodynamics have numerous practical applications in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy production. For example, QM principles are used in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer chips. Jackson's work has also been essential in the development of technologies like cell phones, radio, and television. Without a thorough understanding of these theories, many of the technologies we use today would not have been possible.