Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

In summary, computer science is important in the field of electrical engineering due to its role in designing firmware. Firmware is often limited by the chipset and manufacturers prefer to release new models rather than offer firmware upgrades. It can be difficult to find information on how to edit firmware due to the secretive nature of companies trying to protect their designs. Training in EE, CS, or CE can be beneficial in designing firmware, and consumer electronics manufacturers may not provide much information to the public, leaving it to hobbyists to share their knowledge.
exequor
I believe that computer science is very important to EE because of firmware and so on. I was wondering, the firmware of a dvd player can be upgraded (i did that to mine to gain extra features) however that is limited by the chipset. But it seems like dvd manufacturers prefer to release a new model of a player than to offer firmware upgrades. Does anyone know why? Also, the firmware is what maps how the remote control works and so on right_ is firmware so secretive that i can't find any information on the net that would guide me how to go about editing the firmware? Is CS that important to EE?

Engineering news on Phys.org
To design firmware, you can have training as EE, CS or
CE (computer engineer). There is a bit of cross-over in each.
CE and CS's obviously would have stronger programming skills,
EE's have additional understanding of hardware.

Regarding DVD players or consumer electronics in general, I've noticed
manufacterers are pretty weak on offering the public, modifications
or technical information about their products. The reason for the secretive (proprietary) behavior of companies is in attempt to protect their designs from being copied or stolen. Which, of course would cost them lost profits.

I also think consumer electronics manufacturers don't believe the lay-public know anything about what is going on under the chasis. It is left to tinkerers and hobbyists to make and share news on how to make mods and upgrades.
Poke around the net, I bet you will find a tinkerer willing to share their experience.

Last edited:

Yes, computer science plays a crucial role in electrical engineering. In fact, many electrical engineering programs now include courses in computer science as part of their curriculum. This is because the two fields are closely related and often work hand in hand.

In terms of firmware, it is indeed a crucial aspect of electronic devices, including DVD players. Firmware is essentially the software that is embedded in the hardware of a device and controls its operation. It is responsible for managing the device's functions and interfaces with the hardware components.

As you mentioned, firmware can be upgraded to add new features or fix bugs. However, the ability to upgrade firmware is limited by the capabilities of the device's chipset. If the chipset does not support certain features or functions, then it is not possible to add them through a firmware upgrade.

The reason why DVD manufacturers prefer to release new models instead of offering firmware upgrades could be due to various reasons. It could be a marketing strategy to encourage consumers to buy the latest model, or it could be because the chipset of the older model does not support the desired updates.

Regarding the secrecy surrounding firmware, it is true that manufacturers do not openly share information about their firmware. This is because firmware is considered intellectual property and contains proprietary code that the manufacturer does not want to be shared with competitors. However, with some technical knowledge and skills, it is possible to find information on the internet about editing firmware.

In conclusion, computer science is indeed important in electrical engineering, and firmware is just one aspect where the two fields intersect. As technology continues to advance, the collaboration between these two fields will become even more crucial in designing and developing innovative electronic devices.

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and computer science?

Electrical engineering is a field that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and components. This includes power generation and distribution, electronics, and telecommunications. Computer science, on the other hand, is a field that deals with the study of computers and computational systems. It involves the design and development of software and hardware, as well as the algorithms and theories behind them.

2. Can an electrical engineer work in the field of computer science and vice versa?

Yes, there is overlap between the two fields and many professionals have skills and knowledge in both areas. An electrical engineer can work on computer hardware design, while a computer scientist can work on developing software for electrical systems. However, specialized knowledge and training may be required to work in a specific area of the other field.

3. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in electrical engineering and computer science?

There are a variety of career paths available for individuals with a degree in electrical engineering and computer science. Some common roles include software engineer, network engineer, systems analyst, data scientist, and hardware design engineer. These professionals can work in industries such as technology, telecommunications, renewable energy, aerospace, and more.

4. What skills are important for someone pursuing a degree in electrical engineering and computer science?

Some important skills for individuals pursuing a degree in electrical engineering and computer science include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, mathematical proficiency, programming skills, knowledge of electronic systems and circuits, and the ability to work with complex data and systems. Good communication and teamwork skills are also valuable in these fields.

5. How is the field of electrical engineering and computer science evolving with technology?

The field of electrical engineering and computer science is constantly evolving with new technologies and advancements. This includes developments in areas such as artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, renewable energy, and quantum computing. Professionals in these fields must continually update their skills and knowledge to keep up with these advancements and stay competitive in the job market.