Boltzmann Equation-where'd the 3 come from?

• Thread starter fliptomato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boltzmann
In summary: I'm not sure how the derivation in Kolb and Turner relates to the one in Hu's thesis, but the factor of 3 comes from the expansion of the universe, which leads to a change in the number density of particles. This is represented by the term \frac{1}{R^3}\frac{d}{dt}(R^3)n, which, after some manipulation, leads to the factor of 3 in the second term of the Boltzmann equation.
fliptomato
Boltzmann Equation--where'd the 3 come from?

Greetings, I'm a little bit confused about the derivation for the Boltzmann equation for a particle in thermal equilibrium in the Friedman-Robertson-Walker metric. I've been following the exposition in Kolb and Turner, The Early Universe p. 116. I reproduce all the relevant results here.

In particular:
We are given (K&T, eq 5.5) that for a phase space distribution [tex]f[/tex] the form of the Liouville operator in the FRW model is given by:

[tex]\hat{\mathbf{L}}[f(E,t)] = E\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{\partial E}[/tex]

Further, the number density [tex]n[/tex] is given by an integral over momenta (K&T eq. 5.6):

[tex]n(t) = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p f(E,t)[/tex]

where [tex]g[/tex] is the number of internal degrees of freedom.

The Boltzmann equation, [tex]\hat{\mathbf{L}}[f]= \mathbf{C}[f][/tex], can then be written out by plugging in the above equation for the Liouville operator on the left hand side.

We can then divide by [tex]E[/tex], multiply by [tex]\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}[/tex], and perform a momentum space integral to express the Boltzmann equation in terms of [tex]n[/tex].

Kolb and Turner write the result as:

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} + 3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}n = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\textbf{C}[f]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]

I'm confused by the factor of 3 in the seccond term and am not sure how this is resolved. I'm also not sure how to treat the energy in the momentum integral--I assume that since [tex]E^2=\mathbf{p}^2+m^2[/tex], one can rewrite the momentum integral in spherical coordinates where the function [tex]f[/tex] is a function of the radial coordinate alone. I assume some integration by parts is necessary, but this still does not account for the factor of 3.

Any help would be appreciated,

Flip

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fliptomato said:
I assume some integration by parts is necessary, but this still does not account for the factor of 3.
I haven't read Kolb and Turner's book, but I think you'll find the factor 3 and the rest of that term comes from:
[tex]\frac{1}{R^3}\frac{d}{dt}(R^3)n [/tex]

Garth

<deleted>

Last edited:

A bit late for the one who asked, but perhaps it helps those who have the same problem

[tex]E\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{\partial E} = \hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)][/tex]
divide by E
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{E\partial E} = \hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{1}{E}[/tex]
integrate
[tex]\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{E\partial E} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
[tex]n(t)-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{E\partial E} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
use
[tex]E\partial E=p\partial p[/tex]
[tex]n(t)-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dp|\mathbf{p}|^2|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{p\partial p} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
[tex]n(t)-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dpp^3\frac{\partial f}{\partial p} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
integration by part:
[tex]n(t)+\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dp3p^2f= \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
[tex]n(t)+3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dpp^2f= \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
[tex]n(t)+3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}n(t)= \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]

stanix

1. What is the Boltzmann Equation?

The Boltzmann Equation is a mathematical formula that relates the probability of a particle's state to its energy and temperature. It is used to study the behavior of particles in a gas or liquid at the molecular level.

2. Where did the 3 come from in the Boltzmann Equation?

The 3 in the Boltzmann Equation, also known as the Boltzmann constant, was introduced by Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann to account for the number of dimensions in space. It is a fundamental constant in statistical mechanics and helps to relate macroscopic properties, such as temperature, to microscopic properties, such as particle energy.

3. How is the Boltzmann Equation derived?

The Boltzmann Equation is derived from the laws of thermodynamics, particularly the second law which states that the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. By assuming that the particles in a system follow a probability distribution, the Boltzmann Equation can be derived to describe the behavior of these particles.

4. What are the units of the Boltzmann constant?

The units of the Boltzmann constant are joules per kelvin (J/K). This means that for every degree of temperature increase, the average energy of a particle will increase by 1.38 x 10^-23 joules.

5. How is the Boltzmann Equation used in practical applications?

The Boltzmann Equation is used in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of particles in gases and liquids, as well as to calculate the properties of materials such as thermal conductivity and diffusion coefficients.