Can someone start this problem for me?

• Thread starter lunarskull
  • Start date
In summary: I got -16cm/s^2In summary, The problem involves uniform acceleration, with a given initial velocity and displacement. Using the equation x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2, the magnitude of acceleration is found to be -16 cm/s^2.
lunarskull
One-dimensional motion with constant acceleration

a body moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 12.0cm/s when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 2.00s later is -5.00cm, what is the magnitude of its acceleration?

i am guessing that you use the equation for velocity in form of displacement, but I am not sure at all

some help on just picking an equation to use for this problem and starting the problem for me wud be greatly appreciated. more posts coming because I am so totally lost in this chapter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For uniform acceleration:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] (you can get the equation by integrating)

im still not getting it

i knew about this equation, but i still dunt no what I am doing wrong. i plugged in: (-5cm)=(3cm)+(12cm/s)+(1/2)(a)(2s)

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
Solve for a:
[tex]a = 2\frac{x-x_0-v_0t}{t^2}[/tex]
[itex]x, x_0, v_0, t[/itex] are given.

i got -10 cm/s^2

but in the back of the book it says 16.

i put x=-5 [tex]x_0[/tex]=3 [tex]v_0[/tex]=12 and t=2s

i believe I am getting [tex]v_0[/tex] wrong

I get (without units):
[tex]a = 2\frac{-5-3-12*2}{2^2} = -16[/tex]
Did you notice it's [itex]v_0t[/itex], meaning [itex]v_0[/itex] times [itex]t[/itex]?

wow thx, i wrote my equation on my equation sheet wrong.

1. Can you help me start this problem?

Yes, I am happy to assist you with starting this problem. Can you provide more details about the problem and what you need help with?

2. How do I begin solving this problem?

The first step in solving any problem is to clearly understand the problem and its requirements. Can you provide me with the problem statement and any relevant information or resources?

3. Can you give me an example of how to approach this problem?

Sure, I can provide you with a step-by-step example of how to solve this problem. However, it's important to keep in mind that every problem is unique and may require a different approach.

4. What are the different methods or techniques I can use to solve this problem?

There are many different problem-solving strategies and techniques, such as trial and error, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using diagrams or visual aids, and collaborating with others. It depends on the specific problem and your personal strengths and preferences.

5. Can you guide me through the problem-solving process?

Yes, I can guide you through the problem-solving process and provide support and assistance along the way. However, it's important to keep in mind that problem-solving is a skill that can be developed and improved upon with practice.