Proving Divisibility: Exploring Two Questions on Positive Integers

In summary, the two questions are asking for different things. Question one is asking for a proof that a is divisible by b, while question two is asking for a proof that p^a does not divide m.
1+1=1
Two questions here. I know the definitions, but cannot formulate a through proof.

1.a and b are positive integers. If a^3 | (is divisible by) b^2, then a | (is divisible by) b.

Now, by definition, I know that a^3*k=b^2, for some k. Also, I know that a * j = b for some j. But where do I go from here?

2.If p^a || (exactly divides) m, then p^ka || (exactly divides) m^k.

Again, by definition, p^a | (is divisible by) m and p^a+1 is not divisible by m. Also, p^ka | (is divisible by) m^k and p^ka+1 is not divisible by m^k+1.

This is all I can get. I just do not know where to go from here. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thank you all, and you are all very smart on this website, if I have never mentioned that before!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a^3 k = b^2
a (a^2 k) = b b
a (a^2 k/b) = b
j = a^2 k/b

Show j is the "same kind of number" as k. If k is a positive integer then show that so is j.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, I knew it was something with algebra. Thank you very much. I understand that now. Becuase something multiplied by a must mean that a is divisible by b. Thanks much! If only I can get this second one. :mad:

1+1=1 said:
Two questions here. I know the definitions, but cannot formulate a through proof.
1.a and b are positive integers. If a^3 | (is divisible by) b^2, then a | (is divisible by) b.
Now, by definition, I know that a^3*k=b^2, for some k. Also, I know that a * j = b for some j.
It's the other way round : a|b means that a divides b, or b is divisible by a.

EnumaElish said:
a^3 k = b^2
a (a^2 k) = b b
a (a^2 k/b) = b
j = a^2 k/b

Show j is the "same kind of number" as k. If k is a positive integer then show that so is j.
I don't see how this has reduced the difficulty of the problem ... :confused:..or what the OP has understood from it.

1. One only ever need consider prime factors, with multiplicty, for a direct proof. Or you could prove it by contradiction.

2. is easier. p^a exactly divides n is the same as saying n=m*p^a where p does not divide m. The solution should just leap out at you.

1. How do you prove divisibility for positive integers?

Divisibility for positive integers can be proven by using the definition of divisibility, which states that a number is divisible by another number if it can be divided evenly without any remainder. This can be shown through mathematical equations and proofs.

2. What is the difference between proving divisibility and finding factors?

Proving divisibility focuses on showing that one number is divisible by another, while finding factors involves finding all the numbers that can evenly divide into a given number. Proving divisibility is a more general concept and can be used to determine if a specific number is divisible by another, while finding factors gives a list of all possible numbers that can divide into a given number.

3. Is there a specific method for proving divisibility?

There are several methods for proving divisibility, such as using the definition of divisibility, using divisibility rules, or using mathematical induction. The method used will depend on the specific question or problem being solved.

4. Can you give an example of a problem involving proving divisibility?

One example could be proving that 7 divides into the sum of any three consecutive positive integers. This can be shown by using mathematical induction and the fact that the sum of any three consecutive positive integers can be expressed as 3n + 3, where n is a positive integer.

5. Why is proving divisibility important in mathematics?

Proving divisibility is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the relationships between numbers and their factors. It also allows us to solve more complex problems and prove various mathematical theorems. Additionally, divisibility plays a crucial role in other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and number theory.