Manipulating the TISE for a SHM

• Thread starter Exulus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, you are trying to solve for u(x) by using the derivative of u with respect to x and using the knowledge that x = y \sqrt {\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}}.
Exulus
Hi guys, hoping someone can help with this manipulation. I need to transform this:
[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 x^2 u(x) = Eu(x)[/tex]
Into its dimensionless form:
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dy^2}u(y) + (2\epsilon - y^2)u(y) = 0[/tex]
I have the following info:
[tex]E = \epsilon\hbar\omega[/tex]
[tex]x = y\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}}[/tex]
Heres what I've done so far:
[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 y^2 \frac{\hbar}{m\omega} u(x) = \epsilon\hbar\omega u(x)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{-\hbar}{m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) + \omega^2 y^2 u(x) = 2\epsilon\omega u(x)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\hbar}{m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) + 2\epsilon\omega u(x) - \omega^2 y^2 u(x) = 0[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\hbar}{m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) + (2\epsilon - y^2)\omega u(x) = 0[/tex]
But i can't see where to go next..i know i must be close to the end though..surely!

Physics news on Phys.org
at first sight, there is one thing that remains to be done : the transformation of the derivatives.

you know that u(x) = u(y)
Hint : [tex]\frac {du(x)}{dx}= \frac{du(y)}{dx} = \frac {du(y)}{dy} \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] . More specifically, can you calculate [tex]\frac {dy}{dx} = constant[/tex] ? What is that constant ? Then, do the same to get the second derivatives.

marlon

ps i did not check the calculations you have done so far but let us first look at the derivatives

Last edited:
hmm, the only relationships i have in my notes are:

[tex]u(x) = Ce^{-\gamma x}[/tex]

So [tex] \frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) = \gamma^2 u(x)[/tex]

Where [tex]\gamma^2 = \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0 - E)[/tex]

edit - just saw your hint..will inspect further!

edit again - would i be correct to assume that [tex]u(y) = Ce^{-\gamma y \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}}}[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Exulus said:
hmm, the only relationships i have in my notes are:
[tex]u(x) = Ce^{-\gamma x}[/tex]
So [tex] \frac{d^2}{dx^2}u(x) = \gamma^2 u(x)[/tex]
Where [tex]\gamma^2 = \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0 - E)[/tex]
edit - just saw your hint..will inspect further!

This is all true but you do not need this right now. The problem is quite simple, trust me. Once you get the second derivatives right, the problem is very elementary. just try it, i will keep an eye on it. :approve:

marlon

meanwhile, your calculations are ok. Once you get my hint (ie the constant), you are done !

marlon

hmm..no I am totally lost...sorry :cry:

I don't see how you can differentiate the function when you say i don't need to know what it is. I can make a wild guess that dy/dx = 2m/hbar^2..but that would just be guessing and not actually understanding.

Could you give me a further hint? To be honest functions have always confused me slightly.

Exulus said:
hmm..no I am totally lost...sorry :cry:
I don't see how you can differentiate the function when you say i don't need to know what it is. I can make a wild guess that dy/dx = 2m/hbar^2..but that would just be guessing and not actually understanding.
Could you give me a further hint? To be honest functions have always confused me slightly.
:tongue: your guess is wrong.

Well it is very easy. if you know that [tex] x = y \sqrt {\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}}[/tex] then [tex] dx = dy \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m \omega}}[/tex] and you know the constant.

But, we need to have second derivatives, this is also easy :
[tex]\frac {d^2u(x)}{dx^2}= \frac{d^2u(y)}{dx^2} = \frac {d^2u(y)}{dy^2} \cdot ( \frac{dy}{dx} )^2 [/tex]

So you need to replace the second derivative of u to x by [tex]\frac {d^2u(y)}{dy^2} \frac {m \omega}{\hbar}[/tex]

Just substitute this into your last equation and all is done
marlon

Last edited:
:bugeye:

I cannot believe i didnt see that. Whoops! Simple things like that...pretty easy to overlook i guess. Thanks for the help..gonna try it out now! :)

no, problem, this happens to all of us

marlon

1. What is the TISE and how is it used in structural health monitoring (SHM)?

The TISE, or Time-Invariant State Estimation, is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a system over time. In SHM, it is used to model the behavior of a structure and predict any potential structural damage or failure.

2. How can the TISE be manipulated to improve SHM accuracy?

The TISE can be manipulated by incorporating additional sensor data, using more advanced algorithms, and adjusting the parameters used in the equation. This can improve the accuracy of SHM by providing a more comprehensive understanding of the structure's behavior.

3. What are the limitations of using the TISE for SHM?

One limitation of using the TISE for SHM is that it relies on a simplified mathematical model of the structure, which may not accurately represent the complex behavior of real structures. Additionally, the TISE may not be able to account for external factors such as environmental changes or human error.

4. How does the TISE compare to other methods of structural health monitoring?

The TISE is a popular method of SHM because it is relatively simple to implement and can provide accurate predictions. However, it may not be suitable for all types of structures and may not be as accurate as more advanced techniques such as finite element analysis or neural networks.

5. What are the potential applications of manipulating the TISE for SHM?

By manipulating the TISE, researchers and engineers can improve the accuracy and reliability of SHM for a variety of structures, including bridges, buildings, and aircraft. This can lead to early detection of structural damage, allowing for timely repairs and potentially preventing catastrophic failures.