Calculating Final Position of Billiard Ball with Rolling Friction

In summary, the problem involves rolling a billiard ball with initial x and y velocities and a given rolling friction. The goal is to determine the final resting position of the ball by breaking it into time intervals and calculating the deceleration, speed, and new position at each interval. This requires considering the state of pure rolling, where the tangential and linear speeds are equal, and using equations for torque, force of friction, moment of inertia, and acceleration to determine the necessary values.
mickg77
My problem involves rolling a billiard ball with an initial x velocity of 2.4ms and an initial y velocity of 0.7ms. The rolling friction is 0.1 and I have to work out the final resting position of the ball. There is no sliding friction involved. I have to break this into 0.1seconds and return the results, i think that I have to work out the initial decelleration then the speed and new position, and then the next decelleration and so on?

the mass of the ball is 0.17kg

I'm pretty new to this, so sorry if its a bit basic.

Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must assume that the ball begins in the state of pure rolling. Pure rolling occurs when the tangential speed of the circumference of the ball equals the linear speed: v = rw. Where r is the radius of the ball, while v and w are the linear and angular velocities.

The force of friction acts at the point of contact between the ball and the surface and thus applies a torque on the circumference of it. The torque induces angular acceleration similar to the way a force induces linear acceleration:

1.) T = I@, where T is torque, I is the moment of inertia of the object and @ is angular acceleration.
This is related to the Newtonian form: F = ma

From the definition of torque: 2.) T = fr, where f is the force of friction and r is the radius of the ball.

Force of friction is determined from the coefficient of rolling friction and the normal force on the ball: 3.) f = CFn = Cmg , where C is the coefficient of friction.

The moment of inertia is taken from literature values: 4.) I = 2mr^2/5

As described at the beginning, pure rolling exhibits a relationship between the angular acceleration and the linear acceleration: 5.) a = r@ <--> @ = a/r

Substituting equations 2-5 into 1 gives:
Cmgr = (2mr^2/5)(a/r)

Simplifying gives:
6.) a = 5Cg/2

Acceleration remains constant, so you only have to determine the new speeds at each time interval to determine the distance traveled using the equations:
v = u + at
v^2 = u^2 + 2ad

Sorry ran out of time I'll try to finish up later.

What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is the resistance force that occurs when a round object, such as a billiard ball, is rolling on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the ball and the surface it is rolling on, which creates a backwards force that slows down the ball's motion.

How is rolling friction different from sliding friction?

Rolling friction is different from sliding friction in that it only occurs when a round object is rolling on a surface, whereas sliding friction occurs when an object is sliding or moving along a surface. Rolling friction is typically less than sliding friction, which is why rolling objects tend to travel further than sliding objects with the same initial speed.

How do you calculate the final position of a billiard ball with rolling friction?

To calculate the final position of a billiard ball with rolling friction, you need to know the initial position, initial velocity, and the amount of time that has passed. You also need to know the coefficient of rolling friction, which is a constant that depends on the materials of the ball and the surface it is rolling on. With this information, you can use the formula: final position = initial position + (initial velocity * time) - (coefficient of rolling friction * (initial velocity * time)^2).

Why is it important to consider rolling friction when calculating the final position of a billiard ball?

It is important to consider rolling friction when calculating the final position of a billiard ball because it affects the ball's motion and can cause it to slow down or change direction. Neglecting rolling friction can result in inaccurate predictions of the ball's final position, especially over longer distances.

What are some factors that can affect the amount of rolling friction on a billiard ball?

The amount of rolling friction on a billiard ball can be affected by factors such as the surface the ball is rolling on, the material and condition of the ball, the speed of the ball, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Additionally, the presence of any obstacles or uneven surfaces can also affect the amount of rolling friction.