Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, 6 YTBN Shot, Killed In Tuscon AZ

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary: I then went in the front door and around customer service to the copy machine. I was in the middle of copying when I heard a series of loud pops. I thought to myself: Why are people setting off firecrackers, don't they know that they could get in trouble with a member of congress so near? Then a couple came in covered with blood and other people rushed by to help. I continued to copy until I thought that this is stupid, I should either help or get out of the way. I walked over to where the shooting took place. There were people lying around I assume dead and injured. It was just like a scene from the movies. Blood everywhere. There
DevilsAvocado said:
A terrible and horrible tragedy...

And serious guys – why all this ballistic talk...?? WTF is going on? This will keep me awake tonight:

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/08/congresswoman-gabrie.html" [Broken]

sarahpac_0.jpg

Oh man... I really really hope, as much as it seems like a fair hypothesis, that such things had nothing to do with this. I really do.

I should note, I was incorrect about the name of the shooter: it is: Jared Lee Laughner, 22 years old, weapons recovered. We'll probably have more answers than anyone wants soon, and hopefully I'm pessimistic and wrong; this was not a bullet that penetrated her skull, and those still in danger won't die. I hope, but I doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, can't you morons keep politics out of even something like this? The guy was a psychotic. He didn't need Sarah Palin to tell him to do this.

Pengwuino said:
Honestly, can't you morons keep politics out of even something like this? The guy was a psychotic.

You may be right, even literally right. The thing is, it may be that he was unstable AND politically motivated, or that he wasn't mentally ill at all. Doing something terrible doesn't require mental illness, but they do often coincide it seems. The motivation that a killer states may be a contributing factor to the choice of target, but I agree with what I think you're basically saying: this guy was going to kill people.

What others want and NEED to know for the sake of psychology, and security, is why these people, and why now? Personally, if I had to guess, ruling out mental illness as the most obvious factor, it would be: this **** happens, and the first thing we do is try to find a reason. Is this statistically unusual, or just disastrous, but statistically likely within a given period?

Pengwuino said:
Honestly, can't you morons keep politics out of even something like this? The guy was a psychotic. He didn't need Sarah Palin to tell him to do this.

You calling me a moron?

nismaratwork said:
You may be right, even literally right. The thing is, it may be that he was unstable AND politically motivated, or that he wasn't mentally ill at all. Doing something terrible doesn't require mental illness, but they do often coincide it seems. The motivation that a killer states may be a contributing factor to the choice of target, but I agree with what I think you're basically saying: this guy was going to kill people.

What others want and NEED to know for the sake of psychology, and security, is why these people, and why now? Personally, if I had to guess, ruling out mental illness as the most obvious factor, it would be: this **** happens, and the first thing we do is try to find a reason. Is this statistically unusual, or just disastrous, but statistically likely within a given period?

From what the news is telling about what they could dig up on him, he sounds crazy. Going up to a group of people and opening fire and hitting 20 of them requires mental illness in my books.

The latest is that he used a pistol, which I assumed means it was a modified fully automatic pistol.

Pengwuino said:
From what the news is telling about what they could dig up on him, he sounds crazy. Going up to a group of people and opening fire and hitting 20 of them requires mental illness in my books.

The latest is that he used a pistol, which I assumed means it was a modified fully automatic pistol.

It seems to be a glock 9mm, which as you say, was probably extended in the magazine and modified to be automatic. What people perceived as individual shots were likely bursts.

As for your opinion that he must be crazy, that's your opinion. I for one, need more, but I understand why you believe what you do. He could just be really angry, and immature. When you have a lot of people, you get variations that aren't insane, but still homicidal.

nismaratwork said:
It seems to be a glock 9mm, which as you say, was probably extended in the magazine and modified to be automatic. What people perceived as individual shots were likely bursts.

As for your opinion that he must be crazy, that's your opinion. I for one, need more, but I understand why you believe what you do. He could just be really angry, and immature. When you have a lot of people, you get variations that aren't insane, but still homicidal.

True. I do really hope he is mentally ill, though. If he isn't, then God help us if people are capable of this.

The crucial point is that whatever you think of Sarah Palin and her "ad", she and her adherents can be given NO responsibility whatsoever for this evil act, EVEN IF S.P could have expected that some crazy guy MIGHT take her "ad" as an invitation to his sick action.

Pengwuino said:
True. I do really hope he is mentally ill, though. If he isn't, then God help us if people are capable of this.

I do too.

arildno said:
The crucial point is that whatever you think of Sarah Palin and her "ad", she and her adherents can be given NO responsibility whatsoever for this evil act, EVEN IF S.P could have expected that some crazy guy MIGHT take her "ad" as an invitation to his sick action.

Agreed.

Normally I love Google, but not in this time. I just did a little searching, and found http://www.zerohedge.com/article/jared-lee-laughners-youtube-site-reveals-clues-about-killer-lists-mein-kampf-and-communist-m" [Broken] on: Jared Lee Loughner From Zero Hedge.com, which appears to be experiencing problems at the moment. If the site is still up by the time you hit this I took what I think is a screen grab of Jared, who looks like a college kid. Why couldn't he be the overweight Jared that made Subway famous and this whole horrible story be just a nightmare, instead of this horrible crime/tragedy.

I am sure we will be hearing much more about ZeroHedge as well.

Rhody...

Attachments

• Jared.JPG
    Jared.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 636
rhody said:
Normally I love Google, but not in this time. I just did a little searching, and found http://www.zerohedge.com/article/jared-lee-laughners-youtube-site-reveals-clues-about-killer-lists-mein-kampf-and-communist-m" [Broken] on: Jared Lee Loughner From Zero Hedge.com, which appears to be experiencing problems at the moment. If the site is still up by the time you hit this I took what I think is a screen grab of Jared, who looks like a college kid. Why couldn't he be the overweight Jared that made Subway famous and this whole horrible story be just a nightmare, instead of this horrible crime/tragedy.

I am sure we will be hearing much more about ZeroHedge as well.

Rhody...

OK, I'm going to put down one vote with Pengwuino for "nuts".

nismaratwork said:
Oh man... I really really hope, as much as it seems like a fair hypothesis, that such things had nothing to do with this. I really do.

Of course I hope too. But with a perspective from over the Atlantic – there seems to be all the morons you’ll ever need in the Tea Party movement, including aggressive penguins.

I'm not enjoying reading "Jared" all the time. :frown:

Despite knowing I'm not the only one, it feels strange to read that especially given the topic at hand.

Anyhow, wouldn't anyone capable of this be considered mentally unstable?

For a group that usually sticks to the facts, this thread sure has a lot of speculation in it. A person would have a far higher chance of hitting 20 people with a pistol one shot at a time, not fully automatic. There is a reason in the vietnam war the average was somewhere around 50,000 rounds fired for each kill, iirc.

Rhody: High capacity magazines are nothing new, I had a 30 round clip for my 1911 .45. It is true though that stock most are usually from 10-15 depending on the caliber and the style of grip.

arildno said:

Big thanks arildno, and I AM grateful the at least one brain is activated over there.

DevilsAvocado said:
Of course I hope too. But with a perspective from over the Atlantic – there seems to be all the morons you’ll ever need in the Tea Party movement, including aggressive penguins.

For the large number of crazies in the Tea Party, it takes a special kind of person to do something like this. The more I'm hearing about this guy, he sounds like he had some political beliefs that aren't really aligned with any sizable political movement in the US.

Jasongreat said:
For a group that usually sticks to the facts, this thread sure has a lot of speculation in it. A person would have a far higher chance of hitting 20 people with a pistol one shot at a time, not fully automatic. There is a reason in the vietnam war the average was somewhere around 50,000 rounds fired for each kill, iirc.

Rhody: High capacity magazines are nothing new, I had a 30 round clip for my 1911 .45. It is true though that stock most are usually from 10-15 depending on the caliber and the style of grip.

True, this is overly speculative. I'm sure we'll see what happened before the night is over.

There is a lot of speculation here, in large part by people with little (apparent) familiarity with modern firearms. I have a Glock model 20 with 3 full clips. It takes a little more than a second to eject a clip and slam another one in, so 16 rounds x 3 as fast as you can pull the trigger. You don't need a machine-pistol to kill a bunch of people in a crowd.

Let's settle down and find out what actually happened.

Pengwuino said:
For the large number of crazies in the Tea Party, it takes a special kind of person to do something like this. The more I'm hearing about this guy, he sounds like he had some political beliefs that aren't really aligned with any sizable political movement in the US.

I pray to 'Einstein' that you are right.

Jasongreat said:

Yes, but they'd have to be a crack shot with a handgun, and evade counter-fire. Spray and pray is still the most likely explanation, but in theory you're correct. Remember that above all, this is an attempted (so far) assassination of a public official at point blank range. Clearly the rest was just more for him, and I don't know that picking people off is likely. It's mostly speculation however, but that's why I made this in GD. Remember that these kind of people share common beliefs, common goals (not specific, but personal) to make themselves a part of what they see as 'right history'... hence I suspect his "mein kampf" and "communist manifesto" love.

DevilsAvocado: It's the first thing I thought, and if I were to bet, it's still what I'd put money on. HOWEVER... this guy loved 2 really really REALLY nasty books... or rather, books which espouse a terrible world-view.

I have to say, in this case I think pengwuino is right... this guy reeks of, 'LOOK AT ME!', and just latching on to what his type sees as 'powerful' ideologies.

jarednjames said:
I'm not enjoying reading "Jared" all the time. :frown:

Despite knowing I'm not the only one, it feels strange to read that especially given the topic at hand.

Anyhow, wouldn't anyone capable of this be considered mentally unstable?

jarednjames,

Yeah, I get the guilt by association thing, let's let the FBI, etc... do their work and let the chips fall where they may. I would be willing to bet by Monday we will know much much more, although probably not every last detail. In these days of instant access to information 24/7 in near real time, I can't even begin to imagine what his family and friends must be experiencing at the moment. There is nothing else for me to say in this thread so I will bow out here. This plain sucks.

Rhody...

DevilsAvocado said:
I pray to 'Einstein' that you are right.

Consider: You're a right wing, Palin-loving psychopath who thinks it's your mandate to kill this woman. You shoot her in the head... why do you open fire on a crowd, and a 9 year old girl? That's a mass-killer, spree-killer... that type... they're more alike than not, and their ideology is always window dressing.

Stress + Nuts + Means/Motive/Opportunity = Tragedy.

What incredible irony! Guess who read the First Amendment on the floor of the House the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSJMxILF9M

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Ivan Seeking said:
What incredible irony! Guess who read the First Amendment on the floor of the House the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSJMxILF9M

Better the first than the second in the irony department. I find it disturbing to see someone alive and vital, who's fighting to live as I type.

I never went to www.sarahpac.com before, but I went there just now and I couldn't find the target map. Does anyone know where to look, or did she perhaps remove it. There is a statement of sympathy for the victims of the shooting.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Does anyone know where to look

It’s gone, you can find it http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/08/congresswoman-gabrie.html" [Broken].

nismaratwork said:
Better the first than the second in the irony department.

True!

I find it disturbing to see someone alive and vital, who's fighting to live as I type.

It seems that she was incredibly lucky. According to Sanjay Gupta on CNN, who is himself a neurosurgeon, that the attending neurosugeon expressed optimism that she will recover, is highly significant. One would not normally expect this given the nature of the injury.

It was a Glock 9mm, which is not something you would expect to survive at point blank.

Pengwuino said:

We all are. You included. You just haven't been pushed far enough yet. I'm not saying the shooter is or isn't crazy. Most people refuse to believe that they are capable of something like this. Main difference between people is how much 'pushing' and in what way.

DevilsAvocado said:
It’s gone, you can find it http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/08/congresswoman-gabrie.html" [Broken].
I meant where to look on Palin's site. Apparently she did take it down.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I never went to www.sarahpac.com before, but I went there just now and I couldn't find the target map. Does anyone know where to look, or did she perhaps remove it. There is a statement of sympathy for the victims of the shooting.

It was originally on her FaceBook page.

Pengwuino said:

As I posted elsewhere on PF previously, my only experience with the Tea Party is a clip from TV of a guy ranting how he wanted "all commies to die" and then threatened to kill the camera man "if he was a commie" (he said he wasn't and the guy let it go).

He was screaming and shouting and someone I believe would do as he said. I always find it disturbing to see people like this.

I know it doesn't represent the whole Tea Party, but it only takes one with this mentality to take things a bit to seriously (as with that list).

DevilsAvocado said:

Thanks.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/08/sarahpac_0.jpg [Broken]

nismaratwork said:
why do you open fire on a crowd, and a 9 year old girl?

I guess you’re right.

As a little boy, I loved guns and I used to hunt with my granddad in the woods and win shooting contests, etc, but that went over as a teenager, when my electric guitar became my gun of love.

This is clearly some "cultural clash", if I didn’t know better, I would guess that you guys are professional hitmen for god’s sake. I have absolutely no idea what caliber it takes to blow a hole in a human skull, and I’m proud of it.

I guess, and I hope, that you and Pengwuino are right. BUT, this reasoning builds on the fact the crazy gunman and Gabrielle Giffords was in the same place by pure chance and nothing more...

It’s maybe useless and dumb to speculate anymore.

My thoughts go to the 6 killed and injured...

vnles6.jpg

Ivan Seeking said:
True!

It seems that she was incredibly lucky. According to Sanjay Gupta on CNN, who is himself a neurosurgeon, that the attending neurosugeon expressed optimism that she will recover, is highly significant. One would not normally expect this given the nature of the injury.

It was a Glock 9mm, which is not something you would expect to survive at point blank.

I'm stunned... and the surgeon stated clearly that the bullet passed through the brain. At this point, I'm sure her doctors are stunned too.

DA: I know what you mean about the professional hitmen; they're psychopaths, and these people are psychopaths as well. Both are predators of their own kind, both for reasons a sane person would reject, and both are just plain scary. Just remember, we have a sensational media, and while this is terrible, until I see anything but a continued drop in national murder rates, I'm accepting that this is unusual and the rest is mostly media distortion.

<h2>1. Who is Rep. Gabrielle Giffords?</h2><p>Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Arizona's 8th congressional district from 2007 to 2012.</p><h2>2. What happened to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords?</h2><p>In 2011, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head during a public event in Tucson, Arizona. She survived the shooting, but suffered severe injuries that required months of rehabilitation.</p><h2>3. Who shot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords?</h2><p>The shooter was identified as Jared Lee Loughner, a 22-year-old man who had a history of mental health issues. He was sentenced to life in prison for the shooting.</p><h2>4. How many people were killed in the shooting?</h2><p>Six people were killed in the shooting, including a federal judge and a nine-year-old girl. Thirteen others were injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.</p><h2>5. What was the impact of the shooting on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' political career?</h2><p>Rep. Gabrielle Giffords resigned from her position in Congress in 2012 to focus on her recovery. However, she remains an influential figure in politics and continues to advocate for gun control and other issues she is passionate about.</p>

1. Who is Rep. Gabrielle Giffords?

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Arizona's 8th congressional district from 2007 to 2012.

2. What happened to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords?

In 2011, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head during a public event in Tucson, Arizona. She survived the shooting, but suffered severe injuries that required months of rehabilitation.

3. Who shot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords?

The shooter was identified as Jared Lee Loughner, a 22-year-old man who had a history of mental health issues. He was sentenced to life in prison for the shooting.

4. How many people were killed in the shooting?

Six people were killed in the shooting, including a federal judge and a nine-year-old girl. Thirteen others were injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

5. What was the impact of the shooting on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' political career?

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords resigned from her position in Congress in 2012 to focus on her recovery. However, she remains an influential figure in politics and continues to advocate for gun control and other issues she is passionate about.