Waveguide standing wave pattern

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the measurement of a standing wave pattern within a waveguide using a slotted line and a short circuit termination. The results did not match the expected rectified sine and the speaker was unable to explain this even after using two different microwave sources. They also considered the possibility of it being due to the propagation mode and suggested changing the load on the end to see how the pattern changes. Another speaker suggested using a 3dB attenuator and a good terminating load to improve the match and filter the output of the signal source to eliminate any harmonics. Ultimately, it was suggested to seek help from someone with more experience in waveguides.
JuanCarlos
Hi everybody, that's my question, I have been measuring the standing wave pattern within a waveguide (X band) using a slotted line, I put a short circuit termination and the theory said that we expect a rectified sine, but I don't get that, my result is in the picture

thump_8136214swrpat.jpg

I can't explain my results and I have tried with two different microwave sources (10.5 GHz).

I appreciate your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JuanCarlos said:
Hi everybody, that's my question, I have been measuring the standing wave pattern within a waveguide (X band) using a slotted line, I put a short circuit termination and the theory said that we expect a rectified sine, but I don't get that, my result is in the picture

thump_8136214swrpat.jpg

I can't explain my results and I have tried with two different microwave sources (10.5 GHz).

I appreciate your help.

That looks more like the phase variation along a line than the amplitude variation. Is that possible?

How does that pattern change when you change the load on the end (good match / fair match / short circuit) ?

I have measured the standing wave pattern in the air using the same source and the results looks better, of course that's not a short circuit but the wave is not inclined.

thump_8136530swrair.jpg

I've been thinking if it is about the propagation mode.

sophiecentaur said:
How does that pattern change when you change the load on the end (good match / fair match / short circuit) ?

The picture is a short circuit, and when the load is changed, the swr and the phase changes, but the wave is still inclined.

thump_8136540swrarb.jpg

That's an arbitrary load pattern.

You need someone with more experience with waveguide, I think. My actual work was all on UHF and coax feeder.
If I were chasing strange things like that, I think I'd put a 3dB attenuator (resistive) in the source to improve that match and put a good terminating load at the end. If I couldn't get a flattish line then, I would be scratching my head. I could suggest that harmonics in the signal source could be setting up another standing wave which adds to the one you want? (Not relevant if you are using a 'proper' receiver but could be, if you are just using a simple detector.) Solution: filter the output of the signal source.

1. What is a waveguide standing wave pattern?

A waveguide standing wave pattern is a pattern of electromagnetic waves that are confined within a waveguide and do not propagate in a specific direction. Instead, the waves oscillate back and forth within the waveguide, creating a standing wave pattern. This occurs when the incoming and reflected waves interfere with each other.

2. How is a waveguide standing wave pattern created?

A waveguide standing wave pattern is created when an electromagnetic wave is introduced into a waveguide and reflects back and forth between the walls of the waveguide. When the incoming and reflected waves have the same frequency and amplitude, they interfere with each other and create a standing wave pattern.

3. What factors affect the formation of a waveguide standing wave pattern?

The formation of a waveguide standing wave pattern is affected by the dimensions and materials of the waveguide, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the incoming wave. The length and shape of the waveguide also play a role in determining the specific standing wave pattern that is formed.

4. What is the significance of a waveguide standing wave pattern?

A waveguide standing wave pattern is significant in the field of electromagnetics as it allows for the transmission of electromagnetic waves with minimal loss of energy. It is also important in the design and function of devices such as antennas and microwave components.

5. Can a waveguide standing wave pattern be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, a waveguide standing wave pattern can be manipulated and controlled by adjusting the dimensions and materials of the waveguide, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the incoming wave. This allows for the optimization of the standing wave pattern for specific applications and devices.