Cats Killing Billions: Study Finds Domestic Cats Threaten US Wildlife

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the study found that cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year. Domestic cats are likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic mortality for U.S. birds and mammals. They should be killed off if they harm other creatures.
russ_watters
Mentor
Killer cats leave billions of avian, rodent victims, study finds

Think of the world's most prolific killers, and you might come up with a list that includes sharks, lions and even humans.

But our smaller, feline friends may be higher up on the list than previously thought, says a report in the journal Nature Communications.

Domestic cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year, according to researchers at the Migratory Bird Center of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.

The report, published Tuesday, found that cats -- particularly strays -- are "likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic mortality for U.S. birds and mammals."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/us/cats-predation-impact/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

They must be stopped!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a simple cure for these cursed cats (or "Lunch" as they're known in some circles). Meet Fluffy ... o:)

http://cdn.themonolith.com/wp-content/uploads/Leviathan-Attack-Dog.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Their cuteness give them the right to do whatever they want...

I like looking at funny cat pictures on the internet as much as the next guy, but I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats. I've always lived on the coast, and the cats here aren't afraid of people. They are well known to attack fishermen in the area and even small children, spread disease, make an annoying racket all night with their whining when one of them is in heat. They are more like beach-rats to me. I think "outside" cats should really be considered "stray/ferral" cats that "I feed".

Someone think of the birds!

There's a fantastic (if graphic and NSFW) cartoon that's applicable. As there are already mods present, should I post a link, do it in spoilers, post "search for these terms", or just keep it to myself?

Lisa! said:
Their cuteness give them the right to do whatever they want...

Fluffy says "Their tastiness gives cats the right to be eaten... Yum, Yum!"

QuarkCharmer said:
I like looking at funny cat pictures on the internet as much as the next guy, but I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats. I've always lived on the coast, and the cats here aren't afraid of people. They are well known to attack fishermen in the area and even small children, spread disease, make an annoying racket all night with their whining when one of them is in heat. They are more like beach-rats to me. I think "outside" cats should really be considered "stray/ferral" cats that "I feed".
one base I was stationed at had some rather large guard dogs that were very good at their jobs. Every few months the local feral cats would get to be such a nuisance that the dogs were let out on a Cat Cull.

Someone think of the birds!
Rifles or catapults will do the job!

According to this site,( 2006 )
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-most-pet-cat-population.html
there are 76,430,000 domestic cats in the USA.

So it seems unlikely that each and every cat has a bird or rodent for lunch each day.
The "cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year" seems a tad bit on the high end of an exaggeration.
What do they base their estimate on? Potential killing capacity of a cat?

We have laws here, it is illegal to allow your cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. It is very rare to see a loose cat now and usually the next day you see a missing cat poster on the grocery store bulletin board.

256bits said:
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-most-pet-cat-population.html
That's a stat for pet cats, not all domestic cats. The article I linked says most birds and rodents are killed by feral cats, not pet cats. This article says there are 70 million feral cats, so that would be 146 million total cats in the US:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0907_040907_feralcats.html

And just to be clear:
QuarkCharmer said:
I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats.
An "outside" cat is a pet cat that partly lives outside, not a feral (wild) cat. I think the article confuses this by calling them both "domestic", which is just the breed but some people take to mean "pet".

For example, my parents have two pet cats that live about half inside and half outside. They eat two meals a day in the house and about one dessert a week outside.

Last edited:
They should never kill wild/feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. Its natural ecosystem. Let nature decide its course. In the meantime if some species gets extincted, it should be called 'survival of the fittest'. Humans have no business trying to preserve animals that they do not harm actively.

However, all domestic/stray cats should be killed off, if they harm other creatures. I don't see the point of having cats as pets.

Speaking of which, does anybody know any good recipe with cats?

Kholdstare said:
They should never kill wild/feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. Its natural ecosystem. Let nature decide its course. In the meantime if some species gets extincted, it should be called 'survival of the fittest'. Humans have no business trying to preserve animals that they do not harm actively.

However, all domestic/stray cats should be killed off, if they harm other creatures. I don't see the point of having cats as pets.

Speaking of which, does anybody know any good recipe with cats?

Regarding "Let nature decide its course..."
I don't think that when people bring "pets" from other parts of the world and then release them (accidentally or not-so-accidentally) into the local habitat and let them decimate the local wildlife, that it is "just letting nature take its course."
But to lighten things up, I don't mind when the local cats keep the gopher population in check, but I do mind the little "presents" they leave in the garden soil.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Killer cats leave billions of avian, rodent victims, study finds

Think of the world's most prolific killers, and you might come up with a list that includes sharks, lions and even humans.

But our smaller, feline friends may be higher up on the list than previously thought, says a report in the journal Nature Communications.

Domestic cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year, according to researchers at the Migratory Bird Center of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.

The report, published Tuesday, found that cats -- particularly strays -- are "likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic mortality for U.S. birds and mammals."

They must be stopped!

I have yet to hear we have a problem with a lack of "small rodents". This is just part of the food chain. They seem to reproduce quite well, as my friend who got a pair of guinea pigs last year can tell you. I am thinking of the Star Trek show Trouble with Tribbles...

Geek4Life said:
I don't think that when people bring "pets" from other parts of the world and then release them (accidentally or not-so-accidentally) into the local habitat and let them decimate the local wildlife, that it is "just letting nature take its course."
But to lighten things up, I don't mind when the local cats keep the gopher population in check, but I do mind the little "presents" they leave in the garden soil.

Two sides of the same coin there.

Evo said:
We have laws here, it is illegal to allow your cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. It is very rare to see a loose cat now and usually the next day you see a missing cat poster on the grocery store bulletin board.

Really? Do you know the reason that they passed that law, because they're cute fluffy murders or something else? Just curious :smile:

They don't have such laws in my area, but my townhouse owner's association does have a leash rule due to reasons of population density and cleanliness of shared space.

I once almost accidentally killed my neighbors cat when it snuck into my garaged and got locked-in for 30 hours

256bits said:

So it seems unlikely that each and every cat has a bird or rodent for lunch each day.
The "cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year" seems a tad bit on the high end of an exaggeration.

lol I hear ya, I read the article out load at the office and laughed at the estimate between 1.4 & 3.7 billion. I've never even seen a variance of that amount on estimates.

I suspect dogs came up with most of the figures & calculations in the study.

256bits said:

My friend's cat, according to him, "wrestles water moccasins for fun." I'm guessing this one contributes about half of those birds and rodents, meaning every other cat only has to eat a bird or rodent every other day to make up for the deficit.

My sister works in a zoo and once brought home one of the feeder mice for her cat. She lived in an apartment on the second floor, so the cat couldn't go outside and practice its instincts. So, she thought, by bringing the mouse the cat could rediscover its roots. She covered the floor in the hallway with newspapers, brought her cat there and released the mouse. Nothing happened, the cat was uninterested and didn't fancy to play or have a meal. Some cats are just cute and fluffy.

How many dogs?

Monique said:
My sister works in a zoo and once brought home one of the feeder mice for her cat. She lived in an apartment on the second floor, so the cat couldn't go outside and practice its instincts. So, she thought, by bringing the mouse the cat could rediscover its roots. She covered the floor in the hallway with newspapers, brought her cat there and released the mouse. Nothing happened, the cat was uninterested and didn't fancy to play or have a meal. Some cats are just cute and fluffy.

Its mother probably never taught it to hunt.

Sometimes the teaching process isn't a pretty sight, when mom brings home some half-dead mice for the kids to practice on.

Some indoor/outdoor cats never finish their training if separated at a young age and go through life just batting mice around until they get bored or the head falls off.

Monique said:
Really? Do you know the reason that they passed that law, because they're cute fluffy murders or something else? Just curious :smile:
I think people here are anti-animal. Very strict pet laws.

Our cats are indoor-outdoor and they get lots of critters. Life for us is a never-ending trail of headless and gutted bodies. We used to have humming bird feeders but that just created opportunities for the cats, one of which was quite adept at catching them in mid flight!

Little Tyke is good for about ten or twenty snakes a year. Generally she just brings them into my office and let's them go.

I just read in one of my weekly magazines that cats are not native to New Zealand and since they were introduced, some 30% of the bird and mammal species there have gone extinct due to feral cat (and some domestic cat) predation.

Now the native bird, the kiwi, is endangered by them and New Zealanders are not pleased.

I don't even know if there are leash laws pertaining to cats in my city. But nobody seems to have cats on a leash ever, and many people have "outdoor" cats.

For the reply to my first post. I know the distinction between wild and domestic "pet" cats outdoors. The domestic cats are just as nasty though.

QuarkCharmer said:
I don't even know if there are leash laws pertaining to cats in my city. But nobody seems to have cats on a leash ever, and many people have "outdoor" cats.
Fluffy says he knows just how much cats like trees and has just the leash for them. o:)

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6087/759933-noose_lg_716525_large.jpg

For the reply to my first post. I know the distinction between wild and domestic "pet" cats outdoors. The domestic cats are just as nasty though.
Nastier. At least wild cats have the semi-excuse of needing to feed themselves, whereas the domestic variant just do it to indulge themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should never kill wild / feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. The natural ecosystem. Let nature take its course to decide. In the meantime if some species are extinct, called "survival of the fittest. People do not like animals they do not actively harm trying.

steve Parker said:
They should never kill wild / feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. The natural ecosystem. Let nature take its course to decide. In the meantime if some species are extinct, called "survival of the fittest. People do not like animals they do not actively harm trying.

:confused:

steve Parker said:
They should never kill wild / feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. The natural ecosystem.

These cats are not part of the natural ecosystem. They are pet cats that were abandoned by their owners, or descended from such cats. They're not like bobcats, cougars, etc. which are true wild cats in North America. They're more analogous to kudzu. :wink:

steve Parker said:
They should never kill wild / feral cats

You seem to be making a common mistake here. "Wild cats" and "feral cats" are two different things. Wild cats are part of the natural ecosystem. Feral cats are not. ("Wild cats" include anything from lions and tigers, down to the domestic-cat-sized "wildcat" (note: one word, not two) which is a different species (Felis silvestris) from the domestic cat (Felis catus).

Monique said:

What a lazy cat! Maybe that's because your sister always feeds her cat and it doesn't have to make any effort to catch its own food.

Lisa! said:
What a lazy cat! Maybe that's because your sister always feeds her cat and it doesn't have to make any effort to catch its own food.
I thought a well fed cat made a better mouser.

Evo said:

It's rare to see loose cats in my city, too. Just east of the city, you have coyotes. Just west of the city, you have mountain lions. Through most of the city, you have foxes.

Small outdoor pets, whether cats or small dogs, don't have very long lives.

In fact, workers at the humane society tend to be horrified when yet another small dog is adopted by a resident that seems to adopt a small dog almost once a year.

While baby birds are surely vulnerable to cats, even some of the birds are pretty scary. A pair of mountain magpies had some young very near my house. They would even attack my Golden Retriever, being so bold as to hop along behind my dog, pecking at her tail. My dog took to sitting down whenever the birds came back to harrass her.

I had a GF in HS that had a cat who would try to to kill something every day. He would bring it to the back stoop of their house and would lug it off as soon as she had seen his kill. I have no idea if he was eating his kill, but he did a number on mice, voles, and ground-nesting birds. He was a friendly cat (to humans), but he was a killer. I would have hated to be an animal smaller than him.

An older friend (about 25 years ago) had a big black tom-cat who was very effective, too. He had lost an eye, probably in a fight with a 'coon, but he would wait in the weeds and tall grass and would bring home his kill day after day. Luckily they had a big barn full of hay, so there were plenty of rodents for winter-hunting. He would present the booty to my friend's wife, so Blackie (original name, huh?) could get some praise.

Last edited:

1. How do domestic cats threaten US wildlife?

Domestic cats threaten US wildlife through predation, competition for resources, and the spread of diseases. They are natural predators and can kill a wide range of small animals, including birds, reptiles, and small mammals. They also compete with native predators for food sources and can spread diseases to wild populations.

2. What is the impact of domestic cats on US wildlife?

The impact of domestic cats on US wildlife is significant. A recent study found that domestic cats kill an estimated 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals annually in the United States alone. This can have a major impact on local ecosystems and can contribute to the decline of certain species.

3. Are all domestic cats a threat to US wildlife?

While not all domestic cats pose a threat to US wildlife, a large percentage of them do. Outdoor cats, especially those that are allowed to roam freely, are the biggest threat to wildlife. Indoor cats that are well-fed and do not have access to the outdoors are less likely to hunt and pose a threat to wildlife.

4. What can be done to reduce the impact of domestic cats on US wildlife?

There are several steps that can be taken to reduce the impact of domestic cats on US wildlife. These include keeping cats indoors, spaying or neutering cats to reduce the number of feral cats, and using deterrents such as bells on collars to reduce the likelihood of cats hunting. It is also important for cat owners to be responsible and not allow their cats to roam freely in areas with high concentrations of wildlife.

5. Are there any benefits to having domestic cats in the US?

While domestic cats can have a negative impact on US wildlife, they also provide benefits such as companionship and pest control. Cats can help keep rodent populations in check, which can be beneficial for agriculture and human health. However, it is important to balance these benefits with the potential harm to wildlife and take steps to mitigate the negative impact of domestic cats on the environment.

Back