Confused by Relative Motion? Get Answers Here!

In summary: And yes, there was a diagram in the book that I was able to look at and better understand the situation. I agree that the geometry practice is important and I will continue to work on it. Thanks again for your help! In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative motion, particularly the velocity of one car in relation to another. It uses vectors and components to calculate the velocity and direction, and mentions the use of angles in representing the direction of the velocity vector. The confusion arises when trying to understand the significance of the angle of 45 degrees and the angle of 315 degrees in the context of the problem.
jwroblewski44
Disclaimer: This is not for any class. I have downloaded this book ( http://www.ck12.org/book/CK-12-Physics---Intermediate/ ) and am ( attempting to (: ) work through it on my own. I am going through the section on relative motion ( section 3.3 in the book ) and am confused by a portion. It goes: (copy/pasted from book)

Car A is moving due east with a speed of 30 mph and Car B is moving due north with a speed of 30 mph.
a. What is the velocity of car A relative to car B?
Vab =~Va - Vb The two vectors are not along the same line so we’ll use their components
Va = (+30;0) and Vb = (0;+30), where east is +x and north is +y
-Vb = (0;-30), therefore, Va - Vb = (30+0;0-30) = (+30;-30). The components are directed east and south, so
the direction is southeast. Since both components have the same magnitude, the angle must be 45. But since the
vector is in the southeast direction it is in the 4th quadrant so the angle is 315, and the magnitude is the Pythagorean
sum (30[^]2 +30[^]2) [^]1/2 = 42:4 mph.

What is most confusing is when they state, "Since both components have the same magnitude, the angle must be 45." I see that both cars (vectors?) have the same magnitude (30mph?), but how does that mean "the angle must be 45"? And then they state that because the vector has a southeastern direction it is in the 4th quadrant, so the angle is 315... Where does the angle of 315 come into play at all? I see them state the angle then not use it directly in any formula.

Can someone help shine some light on this matter for me? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: It seems I have posted in the wrong area. Sorry :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, the vectors that are being referred to are the velocity vectors, which is different from an actual position vector. I couldn't tell if you were clear about this or not. Since the components are perpendicular to each other, the triangle that these velocity components make is a right triangle with the two smaller sides of equal length. Since the other angles are equal (there are a number of ways to show this), and the sum of the internal angles of a triangle equal 180##^{\circ}##, the two smaller angles must both be 45##^{\circ}##

Now, I'm assuming there is a picture that shows the two cars starting from the same point and traveling away from each other. From this picture and the other work that has been done, we see that the velocity vector is pointing 45##^{\circ}## south of east. This is the same as measuring 315##^{\circ}## anti-clockwise from east. Since this is a commonly used orientation, they ask you to put it in that form.

Does that clear it up? This stuff can be a bit annoying, but the geometry practice is very important for other topics.

I think that these should usually be in the classwork help even though it isn't for a class, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks for the explanation! Pointing out the reference to a right triangle helped me to understand.

Last edited:

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the perceived motion of an object or person in relation to another object or person. It is the movement of an object in relation to a frame of reference.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to the actual physical movement of an object in space, while relative motion is the perceived movement of an object from a certain perspective.

3. How does relative motion affect our perception of speed?

Relative motion can affect our perception of speed because it is based on our perspective and frame of reference. An object may appear to be moving quickly when viewed from one perspective, but may appear to be moving slowly when viewed from another perspective.

4. Can relative motion be measured?

Yes, relative motion can be measured by comparing the movement of an object or person in relation to a frame of reference. This can be done using mathematical formulas and measurements, such as speed, distance, and time.

5. How does relative motion play a role in everyday life?

Relative motion is constantly at play in our everyday lives, from driving a car to walking down the street. It helps us understand our position and movement in relation to other objects and people, and allows us to make accurate judgments and decisions based on our perception of motion.