Decay of Pi0 Meson: Exploring EM & Annihilation

In summary, the pi0 meson decays primarily through the electromagnetic interaction, as seen in the large number of decay modes involving photons. While the strong force is dominant in holding the quark-antiquark pair together, it is not useful to view it as a force in low-energy processes like bound hadrons. The lifetime of the pi0 meson is a statistical property, with the actual decay time being unpredictable. Additionally, the idea of the quark and antiquark "touching" to annihilate is not entirely incorrect, but it is not encouraged due to the limitations of the classical Bohr model in accurately describing bound states in quantum mechanics.
kylie14
About the pi0 meson:

I have a vague understanding of the idea of quantum super-position giving the linear combination of uubar and ddbar, even though it is very hard to picture - if possible I would like to avoid going off onto a tangent about this...

My question is: am I right in saying that the decay of pi0 is through EM?

Is it caused by annihilation of the 'quark/antiquark?' Is this a too simplistic way of looking at it?

Also: In general- why doesn't the strong force prevent annihilation of a quark-antiquark pair if it becomes repulsive at short distances? Or, is it naive of me to be thinking that the quark and antiquark actually need to "touch" to annihilate?

Any responses wold be welcome...

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The electromagnetic interaction is dominating, the decay via a Z is possible but rare. You can see this in the http://pdg8.lbl.gov/rpp2013v2/pdgLive/Particle.action?node=S009 - most decays have at least one photon, and neutrinos are extremely rare.
Is it caused by annihilation of the 'quark/antiquark?
Right.

In general- why doesn't the strong force prevent annihilation of a quark-antiquark pair if it becomes repulsive at short distances?
It is the strong interaction. It is not useful to view it as a force in low-energetic processes like bound hadrons.
Or, is it naive of me to be thinking that the quark and antiquark actually need to "touch" to annihilate?
Quarks don't "touch" each other at all. Their wavefunctions might overlap, but that is true all the time in hadrons.

I deleted your identical thread in the homework section and moved this thread to particle physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sorting out the thread for me- I am unfamiliar with how to do things like that. I also don't know how I missed that there was a particle physics thread.

Thanks for the reply-
Your response has cleared things up for me for the most part.
Obviously all mesons are unstable, and if I remember correctly the lifetime of pi0 is quite short. Why doesn't the qq annihilation happen immediately though?

kylie14 said:
Obviously all mesons are unstable, and if I remember correctly the lifetime of pi0 is quite short. Why doesn't the qq annihilation happen immediately though?

This is a feature of quantum mechanics. QM assigns every event a given probability that the event happens, but does not directly give the time at which the event will occur. Even the quoted lifetime is not the exact time that would take for a specific meson to decay. Rather, if we are given a sample of ##N_0## mesons at rest, the lifetime is the time over which we can expect a bit over half of the mesons to decay Specifically, if we measure ##N_0## mesons at time ##t##, then at time ##t=\tau##, the lifetime, we should measure ##N_0/e## mesons, where ##e## is the base of the natural log.

The lifetime is an inherently statistical property. If we watch a single meson, it could decay immediately or it could take many lifetimes for it to decay. The individual events are truly random and it is only by observing many events that we would see an exponential distribution emerge, parameterized by the actual lifetime value.

In an explicit calculation, the probability to decay does depend on the overlap of the wavefunctions that mfb referred to. In fact, it depends on the probability that we find the antiparticle at the same location as the particle, so the idea that the particles "touch" to annihilate is not really horrible. The reason it's not encouraged to think in terms of such classical ideas is that the classical, Bohr-type picture of the particles revolving around one another is not accurate and would give the wrong answers for the energy, etc., of a bound state. QM only gives the probability to find a particle at a particular point, as encoded in the wavefunction; it does not describe the particle as having some specific trajectory between measurments.

1. What is a Pi0 meson?

A Pi0 meson is a subatomic particle made up of a quark and an antiquark. It is the lightest and most stable of the mesons, with a mass equal to about 135 times that of an electron. It is also known as a neutral pion.

2. What is the decay of a Pi0 meson?

The decay of a Pi0 meson is a process in which the particle undergoes a transformation into other particles. This decay is due to the weak nuclear force, and the resulting particles are typically a combination of photons, electrons, and neutrinos.

3. How does the decay of a Pi0 meson relate to electromagnetism?

The decay of a Pi0 meson involves the production of photons, which are particles associated with the electromagnetic force. These photons are produced when the meson's quark and antiquark annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of photons.

4. What is the significance of studying the decay of Pi0 mesons?

Studying the decay of Pi0 mesons allows scientists to better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It also provides insight into the nature of electromagnetism and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How is the decay of Pi0 mesons studied?

The decay of Pi0 mesons is studied through experiments using particle accelerators, which can produce and detect these particles. By analyzing the properties of the particles produced in the decay, scientists can gather data and make observations about the decay process.