Velocity of ball after being hit by a racket

In summary: I'll check them out.In summary, the angle the ball comes off the racket is likely to be greater if the face of the racket is open than if it is a "perfect" surface.
pvm
I'm trying to figure the velocity (and specifically the angle) of a squash ball (for example) after being hit by a racket.

Simple case: say the ball is initially stationary (hanging in the air!) and the racket hits the ball "flat". That is the velocity of the racket it normal (perpendicular) to the face of the racket. Then it seems simple - the ball will move away with a velocity also normal to the face of the racket, in line with the velocity of the racket.

More complex case: say the ball is initially stationary again, but this time the face is "open" or at an angle to the velocity vector of the racket. E.g. you are hitting it along a horizontal trajectory, but the face of the racket is not vertical, but tilted back, say 45 degrees. What angle does the ball come off the racket now? I'm not sure how to figure this out. The racket has strings - its not a flat surface.

Most complex case: as above, but now say the ball has in inbound velocity. I need its outbound velocity in the ground frame of reference. I'm not sure its a simple case of doing vector addition of its inbound velocity to what would happen had it been stationary when hit.

I also need the magnitude of the velocity. Will it be that of the racket + ball inbound - losses for heat etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework assignment. If so you ou need to follow homework template and show some work. We are here to help but can't if you don't show what you've done so far.

No, not a homework assignment - I'm many years past that! :) Its a genuine problem I need to solve. I did A-level physics 30+ years ago... but I don't have enough knowledge to figure this out - unless its simpler than I am thinking - so I've nothing really to present in terms of work so far.

My thoughts are that if we look from the rackets frame of reference the ball is inbound with the racket velocity. Its also coming in at an angle if the face of the racket is open. I guess with simple "perfect" surfaces etc it would just bounce off with an equal and opposite angle. But with real strings and balls I think it will tend to come off much more towards the normal to the face. I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what this angle is likely to be...

I guess you will have to assume that the racket is perfectly flat, and that the angles towards the normal are equal. Use the addition of velocity (v racket + v ball), so you can treat all three cases equally.
Then more complex case would be the ball having spin.

Two great references (esp. the paper).
Thanks folks...

1. What factors affect the velocity of a ball after being hit by a racket?

The velocity of a ball after being hit by a racket is affected by several factors, including the speed and angle of the racket at impact, the mass and elasticity of the ball, and the air resistance and friction between the ball and the racket.

2. Does the type of racket used affect the velocity of the ball?

Yes, the type of racket used can affect the velocity of the ball. Rackets with larger surface areas or more flexible strings tend to produce higher velocities due to a larger area of impact and greater transfer of energy to the ball.

3. How does the velocity of the ball change when the ball is hit with different parts of the racket?

The velocity of the ball can vary depending on which part of the racket it is hit with. The sweet spot of the racket, which is the center of the string bed, will produce the highest velocity due to maximum transfer of energy. Hitting the ball with the edges or outside of the racket may result in lower velocities.

4. Can the velocity of a ball after being hit by a racket be calculated?

Yes, the velocity of a ball after being hit by a racket can be calculated using the principles of physics. The initial velocity of the ball, the angle of the racket, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the ball and racket) can be used to calculate the final velocity of the ball.

5. How does the velocity of the ball change as it bounces off the racket?

The velocity of the ball decreases as it bounces off the racket due to the energy lost during the impact. The angle and speed of the racket at impact, as well as the elasticity of the ball and racket, will determine the amount of energy lost and therefore the change in velocity of the ball after the bounce.